Potatoes a la Geoff Hamilton

• 12 Replies

Trikidiki

Potatoes a la Geoff Hamilton
« on: March 04, 2010, 23:08 »
I have vague recollections of Geoff Hamilton planting potatoes using a method I have not heard anyone mention since. I haven't grown a huge amount of spuds before but have always used that method. Perhaps it was all a dream.

The idea was to dig a trench then dig a hole at the bottom of the trench and plant the potato in the hole (theory is that potatoes don't send many roots downwards).

The trenches are then covered in polythene creating 'cloches' over the planted spuds.

As the potatoes emerge in the trenches the heaps on either side are pulled into the trench to cover the shoots. Eventually the plot becomes level hopefully around the time of the last frost. The polythene is removed then as the shoots continue to emerge the sprouts are earthed up as normal.

In theory you get the depth of the trench extra to the earthing up. Therefore, theoretically more rooting volume, therefore, more or bigger potatoes.

Was it all a dream, does anyone remember it or even do it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 00:00 by Trikidiki »

Trillium

Re: Potatoes a la Geoff Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:08 »
That's one I must have missed, but if it was on GW, then I wouldn't have seen it. It sounds more like what you'd do for leeks. It would work, though, as the poly sheeting would protect the shoots from any frosts if you started earlier than usual. Leeks could take frost but potato shoots couldn't.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47 »
nice.  think I'll give that a go as my tatty crop is usually poor.

nick
Peak Hives

bigben

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:49 »
I have just posted in the thread about using a bulb planter to do spuds. Last year I had some success with first digging a trench then using a bulb planter to plant my spuds. When they came up the first stage of earthing up was just backfilling the trench, leaving me plenty of soil depth to carry on backfilling as needed.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03 »
I'm doing mine in trenches this year, but I'm putting a layer of compost in the bottom of the trench. I'll just earth up as usual.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

chopkins1313

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31 »
I did a similar thing with my spuds last year, without the plastic sheeting, planted out earlies at end of march in Newcastle and had no problems with frost. Produced a great crop of charlottes, pentland javelin not so good. Think I will stick to this method this year as it's prettyy easy and low maintenance with good results.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:25 »
This is a great idea
You clever things
I'm off to garden centre for polythene
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 16:04 »
i have seen this method i think it was discribed on gardeners world, not tried it but it does make sence and will give much needed early protection  ;)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

goodegg

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 17:53 »
well im sorry to disagree with you all but it seams to me that if you cover with plastic you would have condensation and that would make things worse because condensation would freeze and your spuds would be in a fridge.

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:46 »
well im sorry to disagree with you all but it seams to me that if you cover with plastic you would have condensation and that would make things worse because condensation would freeze and your spuds would be in a fridge.

Also many years ago, I think it was on Tomorrow's world didn't they design a cloche a  which was a sheet of polythene tubes which you filled with water. The sheet was the wrapped loosely round the plant which needed protection. When the water freezes it actually increases the ambient temperature so the still air within the 'tent' was warmer than the moving air outside.

So condenstaion freezing on the inside of the polythene would actualy be a benefit.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09 »
We used this exact method last year in raised beds and it worked brilliantly as well as being easy for the children to manage.

The rows went short-ways across the beds, and the heavyweigh polythene sheeting was held down with old briacks and milk containers filled with water.

No issues with freezing condensation tbh.

Will be doing the same again this year  :D as the crops were very good
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 16:35 »
Trust Geoff to mention ideas that have worked for him and that may be used by others - he was so practical and I don't think he would recommend anything that he hadn't already tried.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 16:52 »
I done similar in my raised beds each year without the polyethelene cloches.  Dig a trench and then dig down again with a trowel to plant the spud.   As it grows refill the trench and then keep earthing up.  Always worked for me.  Had a few wry smiles and sniggers down the lottie till the first crop came out!

xx
Geoff Hamilton TV Series??

Started by littlemisssunshine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 10:59
by tallulah
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.