quiet puffed up hen

• 5 Replies

peggygate

quiet puffed up hen
« on: September 13, 2011, 16:33 »
hi all,  one of my red hens comes out in the morning, has some breakfast ( layers pellets ), then goes over to the other side of the run and puffs herself up and just stands there,  if anyone goes over to the chickens she runs up with the others to say hi, then u look again and shes all alone again, puffed up,  i also notice that her comb has gone quite pale and she is not laying, she is always first in to roost at night and she used to b the last one in,  has anyone got any ideas,  thanks  peggy

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: quiet puffed up hen
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 19:14 »
Hi Peggygate,

Not a pro but do you worm regularly with a proper wormer? if not I would worm her using Flubenvet.
If you worm regularly is she laying ok?
If none of the above apply try a hen tonic maybe she just needs a bit of a pick me up, is she very old?

Sorry not much help but a few ideas :wub:

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 21:29 »
Also have you had a really good look for mites or lice - check under her wings and round the vent. Both parasites can really weaken a hen and standing still and puffed up does indicate she is ill in some way.
You say she is not laying - how old is she? Could she be coming up to a moult?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 15:12 »
Hi it could be a soft egg shes about to lay. this really takes it out of them,when they are like this they are feally pretty ill, please keep an eye on her is she eating throughout the day and drinking?how old is she?

ste23

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 21:07 »
we have 1 like that just spoke to the lady who we had our chickens off she asked us if we give them grass cutting they are no good for them ,only grass they can peck at is ,check her neck   she might not be diegesting her food and have a blockage and give her cider vinegar 1 tea spoon to 1 litre of water this could help  hope this helps

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 16:11 »
I've got one like that aswell!!  She keeps sitting down, fluffing up and sticking her head under her wing.  Some of mine have started to moult so I have given them a tonic in their water.  I gave them verm-x at the beginning of the month.  I have seen the odd lice on mine.  Would that drain them or would they have to be infested?  I am also treating mine for scaly leg.   ::)

xx
Quiet, slow and a bit puffed up..

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 05:24
by CattinJ
xx
Hen all puffed up

Started by jimbeekeeper on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 20:05
by NormandyMary
sad
PUFFED UP CHICKEN !!

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 15:33
by Little jack
xx
puffed up neck feathers

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 12:32
by peggygate

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.