wildlife pond

• 3 Replies

joshbuchan

wildlife pond
« on: July 04, 2010, 14:50 »
ok so last year i was planing on getting some duck, i dug in a pond behind my green houses, but then once i had put it in a fort they would be to noise so i did not get them in the end.

here behind my green house.

heres also some pics of the pond and a cupple things i just seen there.

also i have seen load of frogs! and i seen one jump back in when i went to take the pics.

ok so now what shoul i do. i will clear the rubish out, but what should i plant for put there instead for the wild life. i woud like to atract butterflys and bees. also i want some plants for the pond, i only have some pond weed stuff i got from my granddads pond. theres also small snails in there.

and tips are more than welcome!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 15:24 by joshbuchan »

Trillium

Re: wildlife pond
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 17:15 »
As you say, ponds are great for attracting wildlife. I'd recommend you get some sort of oxygenating plant from a specialty shop and this will help minimize algae as well as encourage frog spawn (future natural slug eaters). Also, add some washed stones to one edge so the maturing frogs can escape the pond and butterflies can land close to the actual water to drink. Keep fallen leaves picked off as they'll spoil the water. One type of flowering water plant kept in its special pot will soon offer lots of sun protection for spawn and other critters.

joshbuchan

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 23:16 »
ok thanks, what plants would anybody recomend i put in, i would like a cupple to flower if thats pos?

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45 »
try lesser spearwort,marsh marigold and purple looserife,water mint  in the pond but try planting things like st johnswort ,veronica,bergamot and maybe lavender around it ,this should bring wildlife in plus give protection to frogs ,oh and put a large stone or wooden perch so birds can drink from it too hope this helps

xx
Wildlife pond

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

33 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 17:22
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Wildlife pond

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 11:43
by Stewarty
xx
Wildlife pond any ideas

Started by richyrich7 on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 22:23
by Steph
xx
What to plant in wildlife pond?

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 19:11
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 36 queries.