Victoria plum tree

• 3 Replies

jambop

Victoria plum tree
« on: March 15, 2018, 17:51 »
Well I got my plum tree planted today and it does look a nice tree. I am very hopeful that it will be a good and productive tree in a couple of years. Anyway it is a bare rooted tree so I really need to prune it now that it is in the ground. Question it do I prune it now before it has produced any leaves or do I wait until it is seen to be growing and then prune... I am thinking about silver leaf here. One or two bud are just starting to break on it and I could see some nice new roots have been growing while it was in the package it was in. anybody got any advice?

Ivor Backache

Re: Victoria plum tree
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:46 »
Let it grow and see how it develops. I prune my plum tree as I pick the fruit, so that the cut ends are gradual and not all at once. That way the tree can heal itself while it is still growing. When all the fruit is picked then I look at the shape and general management and prune accordingly. It's all done before leaf-fall.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:47 »
Normally you decide on the type of tree you want and trim accordingly.  When you first plant in winter, it needs its first cut then.  Then depending on what finish you want will drive how and when you trim it.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06 »
I have pruned the main branches back to about 20% of their original length and taken three or four small ones out altogether and we will see how it grows from there.

question
Victoria Plum Tree

Started by Newbe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 21:52
by Gandan57
xx
Victoria plum tree

Started by BacktoBasics on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 17:07
by stainesbloke
xx
Victoria plum tree flowers

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 00:13
by Dan78
xx
Advice on Victoria plum tree please

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2015, 14:15
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 35 queries.