Wildlife on the plot

• 5 Replies

dub dub

Wildlife on the plot
« on: January 04, 2014, 00:33 »
I am in the middle of clearing a section of plot which hasn't been seen for some time, but i'm a bit concerned that there are a lot of birds in this area, they seem to be living high up in a nearby tree, I don't want to upset their lifestyle.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can provide them a little habitat, or what they might like, I was going to knock up a box for them. But any plants they might like?  :)

bravemurphy

Re: Wildlife on the plot
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:21 »
If they are high up in the tree I would not really worry (unless your cutting the tree down).

When you plant your plot they will love it taking the pests off the produce and maybe some of the produce too   :)

madcat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:15 »
'Tis my theory that gardening is a battle against nature ....  but that the small birds are on my side!  I have a different view of pigeons  >:(  So I'm careful with the slug pellets (dont want to poison the thrush) and the netting, considerate of nesting spaces and put up with being told off by the robin for not digging the right stuff up or staying there when he want to feed  :)  I dont over tidy - hedges with berries and ivy are good, as is dead wood at the bottom, and access to the top of the compost heap keeps the blackbird happy for hours!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:13 »
I would imagine that digging over the soil would expose larvae, etc, that the birds will love.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

dub dub

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 21:58 »
Thanks for the replies, the birds seem to have stuck around, despite the drastic clearance. I'll try and sort them a little pond to encourage some more wildlife.

sion01

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 19:23 »
Its better that you do youre clearing now as quite soon(if some haven't already) the birdies will be looking for nesting sites and will start to build their nests,so the more clearing you can get done by say mid feb the better

xx
Wildlife pond

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 11:43
by Stewarty
xx
New to wildlife ponding

Started by Lottiegob on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 18:45
by Lottiegob
xx
Please lets help the wildlife

Started by Ruby Red on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 07:31
by Rangerkris
xx
wildlife pond

Started by joshbuchan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 09:45
by blackisgreen

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 35 queries.