Rotavating versus digging

• 5 Replies

ChickenPie

Rotavating versus digging
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:05 »
Hi all
I'm new to the forum but have had our allotment for 3 years now.
I haven't been able to dig the plot over winter as I hurt my back a few months ago moving gravel in the garden, but it really needs digging before I start getting things in. Are rotavators ok to just go over the whole thing? I've only ever seen one used on the allotment site and wasn't sure if it's because they don't do a good enough job or people just prefer digging over the winter months?
Thanks in advance

Casey76

Re: Rotavating versus digging
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:11 »
I'm no expert, but this has been my experience:

It depends!

It depends on what your soil is like, and how many weeds you have, and the type of weeds they are.

I have a Mantis tiller, and despite what the company advertises I can dig to a better depth using a fork/spade, than I can with the tiller.  Also, unless the ground is pre-dug, the tiller doesn't make a dent in it.

I spent a couple of weeks - doing 30-40 mins a day - digging over my patch, getting all of the weed roots out, before even attempting to go over with the tiller.

Having said that, if I could carry/manouever a heavier rotavator, it may have made the job easier/quicker.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:12 »
This very recent thread should answer your question :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=122870.msg1446772#msg1446772

Good luck!

ChickenPie

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:53 »
Thanks for the quick replies and the link does help!

I probably should have given a bit more info on my plot sorry.  It's heavy soil but between areas that have been in work and those covered with black plastic, the perennial weeds and their roots that were thriving when we took the plot on have now all gone. The soil is quite easy to dig so if we got a heavy duty rotavator hopefully it'd get through it?

grendel

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28 »
I have a 3.5hp rotovator (quite small as they go) and that manages pretty well, even from covered in weeds (grass mostly) the first few go's it doesnt go that deep, but I rotovate every time I visit - this only takes an hour and a half after the initial go where you stop regularly to clear the tines, and then after 3 or 4 times I find the rotovator digging itself in to the full depth of the tines, then I know the plot is ready for planting, I re - rotovate as I go after that, before planting each row, I redo whatever is left each trip, once everything is planted, its then weeding time around the crops, last weekend I was at the plot for about 2 hours, during which I rotovated the whole plot, and did a second pass over the area I was going to plant, then planted about 6 rows of potatoes.
Its easier on my back than digging and a lot quicker, though the area where the potatoes are will get a good digging when they come out, just try and avoid just rotovating as this can form a solid pan at the depth the rotovator can dig to, if you use a fork now and then you can avoid this.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

ChickenPie

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 13:46 »
That's great thanks Grendel, I'll give it a go then and go over it all a few times so it gets as deep as possible, hopefully my back will be up to digging it the old fashioned way soon!

xx
rotavating

Started by bedwell on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 23:24
by jezza
xx
rotavating in january??

Started by scottishislandlass on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 08:08
by Gwiz
xx
Rotavating the plot - technique?

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 14:24
by aelf
xx
mowing or rotavating?advice please

Started by boosmummy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 18:11
by boosmummy

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 40 queries.