Autumn menus

• 17 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Autumn menus
« on: September 21, 2016, 21:13 »
The hot humid days at the end of summer really made cooking a chore, but its getting autumnal now and thoughts are turning to some heartier dishes.

What have you missed over the summer?  I'm thinking about a stew with dumplings before too long and a proper pie with lots of gravy  :)

chrissie B

Re: Autumn menus
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 22:54 »
New shoot you read my mind one of my favourites chicken stew and dumplings infact theres not much you carnt put a dumpling on .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Christine

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 15:28 »
Start of the big thick vegetable soup season.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 16:21 »
.... and a proper pie with lots of gravy  :)

I've made pastry for some pie-making tonight, though, with the last of the spag bol mince and a small bit of leftover chilli to mix in. That should be enough for a small plate pie for today and tomorrow  :)

I've also been making thick soup with some of the squash that don't look to be ripening very well, plus some minestrone type ones with the dried beans. Must stop now, as I'll need some freezer space for the 'winter festival' stuff, soon enough  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 18:45 »
mmmm pie.  :tongue2:

I've stopped keeping flour in as I can't keep the mites away  :( which means there's no pie-on-demand any more.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 19:39 »
Buy some plastic boxes for it, Lardman.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 19:46 »
Or be really lazy and buy ready made pastry.  I always have some in the freezer for pie emergencies.  It defrosts in no time and is way better than no pie at all  ;)

Its also very useful in turning a bit of leftover cottage pie mix, stew or braised meat into another full meal.  Now you're going to say 'leftovers ??? what are they.'  I can see that one coming  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 21:18 »
Now you're going to say 'leftovers ??? what are they.'  I can see that one coming  :lol:

:wub:  :blush: So true.  :nowink: 

Buy some plastic boxes for it, Lardman.

I've got the bread flour in lock and lock containers and that does appear to be working, although the bread flour does have a high turnover anyway so it's difficult to tell.

Might stop and get a bag tomorrow as I've got pie munchies now  :tongue2:

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:24 »
Mrs Growster is in full soup building mode now...

Leeks, potatoes, swede, carrots and onions are all lined up, and it's just the stock she needs as well as a chunk of fresh toast!

I think we have eight freezer bags-full somewhere at the moment, and she's eyeing the slow cooker yet again!

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 13:23 »
Mrs Growster is in full soup building mode now...

Leeks, potatoes, swede, carrots and onions are all lined up, and it's just the stock she needs as well as a chunk of fresh toast!

I think we have eight freezer bags-full somewhere at the moment, and she's eyeing the slow cooker yet again!

Me too.  I've just nipped upstairs to catch up on everyone while I wait for a huge vat of homemade soup to finish simmering.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 18:30 »
Yes it will be soup making tomorrow with the stock that's simmering away in the slow cooker overnight, might need to go & dig up parsnips & carrots first though.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:07 »
Just a note on Mrs Growster's soup-mania; yesterday, we had organised a perfectly normal lamb based veg soup, and what did she do?

Added a handful of lentils and a ladle-full of pumpkin, so we had to leave half of it!

So where on earth do we put that - there's no room in the freezer any more!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 08:50 »
Yes it will be soup making tomorrow with the stock that's simmering away in the slow cooker overnight, might need to go & dig up parsnips & carrots first though.

Didn't need to go digging, hubby reminded me of the leftover veg bags that were residing in the freezer, all from good advice received on here. Any leftover veg after dinner gets bagged up in the freezer to save wasting it. It's amazing how quickly it accumulates

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:06 »
Sorted through the stored onions yesterday and removed those that were sprouting or not looking 100% and used them to make a large pot of onion gravy, which is now in packs and ready in the freezer to use for quick bangers and mash etc.  (Also using packs of mash stored in freezer if I'm in a hurry.)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:11 »
All this talk of soup is making me hanker after a chicken soup with pearl barley.  I haven't had pearl barley for ages and actually can't remember seeing it on sale any time recently.  A forage down the health food section in Trasco may be on the cards  :)

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.