Runner Ducks-How to get them out of a pond!!

• 12 Replies

Missie

Runner Ducks-How to get them out of a pond!!
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:15 »
Hi,Funnily enough someone placed a pair of runner ducks on the freecycle! we answered quickly,collected them-the people were moving you see and brought them home.the previous day we spent making a coop for them,what a waste of time,the ducks have never come out of the pond!! I have named them Harry & Hermione,they keep eating all the floating fish food  :ohmy:

The previous owner said she was laying every day-never had one egg :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Runner Ducks-How to get them out of a pond!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24 »
They may well be laying IN the pond! I do find my girls will lay where they stand if they lay during the day and have found eggs in the pools. Your best bet is to get a fishing net on a pole and scoop them out of the pond in an evening  :)

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:47 »
Getting them off the pond is a nightmare. I usually use a large net :) but be carefull using a net that way.

I have to catch a runner that the fox injured last night....I have a collie and a net...wish me luck :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 13:46 »
Getting them off the pond is a nightmare. I usually use a large net :) but be carefull using a net that way.

I have to catch a runner that the fox injured last night....I have a collie and a net...wish me luck :)

:lol: You'll be fine then! ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 22:23 »
only feed them to suit you in place and time -- we feed at night in the hutch and they come in quick enough then. Agree about laying when swimming - we have a large duck pond which I clean out every 3 months or so and I regularly find eggs at the bottom.
R

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:24 »
if its a biggish pond, try 2 people on each side with a rope between them, to drive the ducks off the pond.
Then I would keep them penned next to their house for a few days, that will help them realise they get food and a routine there.
The books say that you should leave them in their house untill after 9am so they lay inside, unfortunatley ducks don't read the books  :(
Good luck with them, most people I know who have had some have got rid of them because tend to be silly and panic easily. Call ducks are much friendler and more sensible

Missie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02 »
Unfortunately cleaning the pond out and  trying to find eggs in it would be impossible,it is a natural pond some 30' in diameter and 8ft deep!

Regards being silly-this is so right,they are really potty,I think I am going to have to get a dinghy,we tried the rope thing,they just either hid in the reeds or dive under the rope!

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 17:39 »
dont try to drive them in --, just lure them in with food at a time to suit you. when they are hungry enough they will learn.
R

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 11:45 »
Hi there!  Your runners sound like good fun!! :lol:  I've found with mine that getting them into a routine is the best way to teach them to get off the pond.  When we first had them it took 2 of us and a large pole with a net on the end to shoo them off the pond.  Gradually, they learnt that when I called them and picked up the pole, they went heading for the duck house before I needed to do anything else.  Now, if its starting to get dusky and I go to get them in I only have to clap my hands and and say, (in a very high pitched voice for some reason  :lol: :lol:) "time to go in", and off they go.  The neighbours probably think I'm mad!!  :lol: :lol:

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 00:40 »
Hi Missy
How are you managing with your runners?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18 »
Sorry for trespassing on this side of the forums, but currently this is in the "Pets without feathers" forum.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but the last time I saw a live duck, it had feathers, the only ones I've seen without feathers were in the chiller cabinet at Tesc*.

I'll push a button and move this thread.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Do ducks need a pond

Started by sion01 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 15:45
by CluckyChicken
xx
ducks won't go on pond?

Started by snowdonia lass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 18:14
by ANHBUC
xx
Duck pond ducks...

Started by Growster... on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 07:51
by joyfull
xx
pond liner & ducks?

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 18:05
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 40 queries.