help with my runner beans

• 10 Replies

worzel gummidge

« on: August 10, 2007, 23:49 »
for the last 2/3 weeks my runner beans have been fine with plenty of beans being picked, but now they seem to be growing 2/3 inches long shriveling up and droping off
if in doubt....... pull it out

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:13 »
are they getting enough water ,they are really thirsty things with a massive leaf space that evaporates water quickly, lay straw at the base of the plants thickly this will act as mulch and or heavy water them 2 cans per plant and along the row .mine take a good 30 mins in dry weather
a good minute per 5 plants wil suffice if you use a pipe do this every other day unless its very dry or hot
still alive /............

worzel gummidge

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 23:10 »
thanks muntjac:- for the good advice i will be there in the morning with the hose pipe
cheers

mkhenry

Re: help with my runner beans
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 00:39 »
Quote from: "worzel gummidge"
for the last 2/3 weeks my runner beans have been fine with plenty of beans being picked, but now they seem to be growing 2/3 inches long shriveling up and droping off

The runner bean world is divided about this advice but I know that it works for me. Late afternoon give the whole plant a good dousing with water as well as the roots with a good spray fitted.Sometimes the water just does not get to the beans quick enough on very hot days and the plant slows down over night and the water has run off by morning.The dousing keeps the plant from Sweating and Evaporating and conserves the water trying to climb up the inside which on very hot days only reaches the lower leaves.If your soil is well drained or sandy this effects the plants even on moderate days so it may pay to water everyday and spray every second day.When in full growth you will not damage runner beans by watering every day.The spraying of the whole plant also seems to attract bees. If you are getting beans broad at one end then thin at the other the chances are that you have not watered enough.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:59 »
Thanks Chaps

Didn't know that the beans needed so much water.  Our ground is very wet, the meter goes up to 8 when put near the beans.  Should we still water in the evenings. :?:
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 14:43 »
you mean a moisture meter? if so chuck it in the bin . eyesight is what counts if you look at the soil and it lookd dry . water it /light is dry dark slopppy  is wet for runner beans /french climbers . what you have to remeber is that runner beans when grown put a massive footage of leaf to the sun and wind this evaporates water from the plants very quickly ,you need to replace this

milkman

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 17:19 »
another thing to check is whether there are any big maturing beans lurking underneath where you haven't spotted them - if they're left on the plant it will think its successfully set seed and won't be so bothered producing proper new beans.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mkhenry

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 18:04 »
Quote from: "milkman"
another thing to check is whether there are any big maturing beans lurking underneath where you haven't spotted them - if they're left on the plant it will think its successfully set seed and won't be so bothered producing proper new beans.

So true milkman.One other point and that is you say your ground is wet,have you given the beans a feed.If the water has washed all the goodness away they may need a fillip.

I find Tomatoe feed works,but I pefer one of the Chem Pacs I forget the number,a weak solution every time you water works better than a huge strong dose.The instuctions are on the pack.Perhaps thats not organic for some people but you need to save your crop in a hurry. :cry:

It is possible to over water beans in the early stages which is why mine washed away in the flood. :?

suecoops

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 22:01 »
Hi - I have a question, my beans were doing really well, producing loads and then I went on holiday for a week and when I've gone to check them today there are a lot of very dark beans.  One of the chaps on the allotment says this is lack of water do you think thats right or did I leave them on too long??

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 22:08 »
water will send em dry and brown i think you have had a mould on some of them . pick off all the beans now present and then when the new flowers show dont let them dry out

suecoops

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 22:12 »
Okay thanks for that, I'll do that tomorrow.  I did however check one of them inside and they seemed okay.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.