Plastic -v- Wood

• 4 Replies

Elcie

Plastic -v- Wood
« on: February 21, 2010, 13:36 »
Have an Eglu at home for my two hens who will be moving to the allotment in a couple of weeks with a converted shed as their coop which will allow me to attach an automatic door opener to.

I would like some advice on setting up the inside of the coop please.  My biggest worry moving from plastic to wood is the increased likelihood of red mite.  Therefore, I was wondering whether I could have as much plastic as possible inside the coop rather than wood?  Could the nest boxes could be plastic drawers from work filled with shredded paper?  Could the perches be plastic?  Could I use plastic trays underneath the perches to catch poo and to separate the nest boxes?  I ask as I think it would be easier to clean and less likely to attract red mite but would it still be a nice environment for the hens?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Plastic -v- Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 14:04 »
I used to house my girls in a 6 x 4 shed with perches running across, they had large plastic linbins for nesting boxes in which I put lots of hemcore and diatom (help keep them free from crawlies and they got dusted every time they laid an egg). I used wood for their perches but made sure that they are was removable. The idea of putting pooh trays under their perches is a great one so it is easy to pooh pick and clean, put something like hemcore in the trays and it will help dry out the pooh making cleaning easier. Roughlee put cushion floor on the floor of his shed which is something that I have copied in my new smaller coups, and hillfooter has made the suggestion about mixing diatom with disinfectant or water to make a slurry which again is a brilliant tip so you could try copying those ideas. Make sure though above all else that the shed is secure as unfortunatly there are some nasty people and cleaver animals around  :(. Your eglu would make a good broody house should you need it in the future  ;)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 16:05 »
Thanks again Joyfull  :)

Although I am tempted to sell the Eglu as they pretty much keep their value, I have decided to keep it and the run.  I am going to kep the Eglu in the new run just incase any of them fancy an escape and also keep it for broodies/introducing new hens in the future.

I have just come back from a trip to Ikea and they have some perfectly sized plastic trays which might just do the job for the nest boxes.  I am just trying to resist buying the unit that they fit into but it might be a losing battle!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 16:53 »
be careful about taking your eglu to the allotment - like you say they hold their value and therefor could be a target for thieves  :(  I have one (courtesy of Aunt Sally and her neighbour  :D) that my new bantams are in and I must admit I do worry about that going missing.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 19:26 »
....i have wood, but would have plastic in a shot if they were cheaper and bigger ;)

xx
plastic v wood housing?

Started by katep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 11:08
by Dominic
xx
soft wood chip or hard wood chip

Started by bee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 16:01
by hillfooter
xx
Wood ash.

Started by RubyRed on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2018, 15:52
by rowlandwells
xx
Not sure if hen has swallowed bit of wood !

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 17:06
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.