Plastic sheet

• 3 Replies

Anton

Plastic sheet
« on: March 29, 2007, 15:12 »
I bought a big plastic sheet the other day thinking it might come in useful for the allotment. The weathers fine at the moment but the forecast is rain until Sunday. Is it worth putting the plastic on a patch where I plan to sow my parsnips, carrots and beetroots? And is worthwhile leaving the plastic in place until the plants appear (it takes five weeks for Parsnips and last April they were almost drowned in the Belgian monsoon season.
If I do leave the plastic in place do I have to lift it from time to time to water? Any ideas, fellow gardeners. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to start making a tunnel with the plastic sheet.

Anton

muntjac

Plastic sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 15:17 »
firstly if you put it above seeds already planted it wiff force them to  grow and then the sun will make the moisture in the ground come to the surfacand they wil most probably get stem rot . i suggest you raise it off the soil and use it as a shelter from the " monsoons if anything . you can however leave it down to keep the rain off it and warm the soil up before planting this wil also make any weed seeds germinate and you can kil them before you sow ya own seeds ,hope this helps :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

Re: Plastic sheet
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 15:18 »
Quote from: "Anton"
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to start making a tunnel with the plastic sheet.
This would indicate it is clear plastic - you don't actually say.

It will help to warm the soil.  I'd be tempted to replace it even after you've sowed.  Remove as soon as first seeds germinate.

If you get heavy rain - remember that you will get huge amounts of run-off around the sheet.  All on one side usually!

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
Plastic sheet
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 17:37 »
get a few canes/pipes bend them into a half hoop push into the ground pull over your plastic, ha prestow you've got a mini green house/tunnel.

xx
Plastic sheet as a mulch

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 23:54
by Yorkie
xx
Potatoes under plastic sheet

Started by dorsetmills on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 07:58
by dorsetmills
xx
Sheet mulching

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 21:55
by littlelisa
xx
Join polythene sheet?

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 19:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 38 queries.