How to build a predator proof pen and how to wash a chicken

• 6 Replies

eneville

This year I've learnt a lot about keeping chickens, thanks to everyone who has answered questions for me.

There are a few things playing on my mind:

1) predator proof upgrade

I'd like to make a concrete base, with steel reinforced concrete pillars for a perimeter of aviary wire. That should stop any pesky rodents getting in. How do I set concrete posts in a concrete base? Currently we have a mesh under the coop which looks a bit like a tray, but with a coop on top. This stops rats/squirrels getting in.

In order to house more hens we need a bigger space, so I think concrete is the way to go, nothing can push it over.

Also, is this a bad idea? There's a train line backing onto the garden so there's risk of vermin wandering along the line and hopping into the garden, so we can't really free range and a big enclosure is the only thing I can think of to make life better or the hens.

2) how to wash a mucky chicken

Milly has a rather mucky feathery bum. Should we wash it in something like Johnsons bubble bath/shampoo? She doesn't seem too bothered about the state of it, but compared to the other girls her age she is very mucky.

I'm not thinking of dunking Milly until the warmer weather, just wondering what the tried and tested methods are.

grinling

Re: How to build a predator proof pen and how to wash a chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 22:25 »
I use warm soapy water followed by hair dryer. Be gentle, the shock of a bath can kill.

Best way to keep out vermin is good husbandry, take the food away at night, clean up etc.
I have a grass field to one side and farmers field to the back of me, so mice are more of a pain that rats. I have a rat trap and will use if there is presence of rats. Mine free range and ignore mice. Don't have squirrels or foxes, just a mole!!!
You could just enclose with weld mesh.

If they don't free range do you give them greens?

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:40 »
you really will have a job stopping all the pests getting in well at least the small ones considering they can get through a gap the size of a pencil, as said good husbandry and take the food away when the chooks go in.

I do sometimes feel sorry for any mice that get in our coop.

there was a lot of noise coming from there last year so we went to investigate and there was not much left of the rodent that had got in just a bit of tail.

anyone else had this?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54 »
I don't use any soap if I have to wash a mucky bum. I use warm water and hold her in the water and gently wash the muck away.

I then gently dry her in an old towel.  I would do it inside in the warm in this weather.

I wouldn't like a bath outside in this weather. :D

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 14:27 »
I do all of the above, warm soapy water if the weather warm enough....one of mine regularly has a mucky bottom, (her first poo of the day is always a tad loose, and then all nice and firm after that), so on the colder days, she gets a good old wipe with a sensitive baby wipe, and that does the job nicely.

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 14:28 »
I set my posts first.

Part filled a 18'' deep narrow trench with brick rubble.

Then filled with a wet concrete mix.

I also have roofing after watching a fox scramble a seven foot gate. My pen is more secure then my patrol base in Afghanistan, only I don't use claymore mines! I haven't lost a hen yet.

I always leave bated traps in cages out for mice, which every so often I catch. Sometimes large slugs get snapped as well.

Prevention is always the answer.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 20:22 »
Sorry, soapy on the brain, just warm hand hot water!!

xx
chicken proof plants

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 21:12
by Pixieswift
xx
chicken proof flowers

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 17:30
by Tony H
xx
Chicken proof plants???

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 16:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Is chain link fox proof? Or chicken wire?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 08:43
by Sassy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 39 queries.