Duckling Scared of Water

• 1 Replies

Sebi

Duckling Scared of Water
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:25 »
Hi. We are raising a mallard duckling. There was 4 abandoned ducklings and the other 3 got eaten by seagulls!!! He's doing really well and growing at a phenomenal rate and appears very happy and chirpy. he's an absolute sweetheart and we can watch him for hours.  The only problem is he goes mental when I put him in the bath and seems to hate it and is quite distressed when I take him out.  He's about 11 days old - is it too soon???? We live on a boat so there's a lot of water around and if he's ever going to go back into the wild he needs to get over it!!!!! Any tips aboout this or raising a duckling would be much appreciated. Thanks. sebi
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:27 by Sebi »

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Duckling Scared of Water
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 15:08 »
Hi and welcome to the forums.

It sometimes takes ducklings a little time to get used to new things but water is something that they usually take to pretty quickly! I suspect the problem is actually being isolated while in the water as mine certainly get a bit frantic if they are by themselves in the bath.

They really are flock animals and do not do well by themselves. Is there anyway you could get him some company, either in terms of you getting another duckling or rehoming him with someone with ducks?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Scared Chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 17:06
by evie2
xx
Scared chickens

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 19:33
by jinty1911
xx
Scared cockerel

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 23:53
by raeburg
xx
scared of the snow

Started by dennis on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 20:43
by ehs284

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.