rat tailed maggots any one?

• 7 Replies

starry

rat tailed maggots any one?
« on: June 16, 2012, 14:41 »
I have identified these as the grotesque  things swimming about in my water butt (that I chucked all my couch grass in to drown it) but do I just leave them to hatch in to hover flies i.e not tip it all out (it smells putrid)  :(
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Trillium

Re: rat tailed maggots any one?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22 »
You might find something helpful here.

Since they're not really a pest, nor can you crush them, you need to decide if indeed they are the cause of the stink or the rotting weeds and what to do.

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05 »
 Morning,

I come across hundreds of these each year on the farm, never been a problem. I just let them get on with it, they must do something good and have a purpose and they don't sting or bite which also goes in their favour.
I would let them be.

Nicky
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

starry

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:46 »
morning I think I will probably leave them to turn in to hover flies as I know they are good for getting rid of aphids and as you say they do no harm, and then once they are gone I will empty out the smelly water and walk quickly away  :lol:   it's the weeds that have caused the smell rather like nettle water  :blink:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 21:44 »
The smelly liquid you describe is nitrogen rich and worth adding a bit to your watering can (1:10).

I also get these bugs in all my nettle tea, perennial weed drownings, water butt, etc.  I use the former, diluted, as plant feed.  You are right though, it really stinks and you need a strong stomach to use it, but it is almost as good as your nettle tea at feeding the plants.

Add to your watering can at the end of the day to the rough dilution ratio above and your plants will love you!  

Keep an eye over the next few weeks.  When the majority of the bugs seem to have moved on, use the liquid and get rid of the rotted leaves in the compost bin as normal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 21:52 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

starry

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 17:49 »
The smelly liquid you describe is nitrogen rich and worth adding a bit to your watering can (1:10).

I also get these bugs in all my nettle tea, perennial weed drownings, water butt, etc.  I use the former, diluted, as plant feed.  You are right though, it really stinks and you need a strong stomach to use it, but it is almost as good as your nettle tea at feeding the plants.

Add to your watering can at the end of the day to the rough dilution ratio above and your plants will love you!  

Keep an eye over the next few weeks.  When the majority of the bugs seem to have moved on, use the liquid and get rid of the rotted leaves in the compost bin as normal.

Thanks for that I thought I had read some where that the water from drowning my weeds could be used as a feed but after numerous searches I couldn't find the info so thought I might be dreaming it, I like hover flies they remind me of willo the wisp but how they hatch from something so ugly I don't know !! ??? 

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 18:55 »
Have you ever seen the interim stage of a lady beetle? Super ugly thing.

As for the weedy plant food, it is hard to find info on it but Bob Flowerdew has it in one of his books where he dedicated a whole barrel to making this concotion and how much to dilute it. Good to know that things like dandelion roots are good for something besides wine  :D

starry

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 19:32 »
yes that's true Trillium, and I have never tried dandelion wine the thought of drinking something that my mum told me would make me wet the bed if I picked it fills me with horror (only to find out later that they are a diuretic!!)

xx
MAGGOTS

Started by BADBACK on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:26
by Loubs
xx
Pea Maggots

Started by Adam on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 18:30
by peapod
xx
Maggots in my compost

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:56
by ilan
xx
maggots in compost

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 13:09
by muntjac

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 38 queries.