seed sowing

• 3 Replies

newgrowers

seed sowing
« on: February 24, 2009, 16:42 »
you have probably been asked this question a millions times ,,but i will ask it again,,how often should you sow seeds so you get a continuous crop ,,,do you start new ones every week or leave it longer in between

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Re: seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 18:55 »
You could sow a few every week or twice as many every fortnight ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 19:04 »
depends on the crop...I sow lettuce every week and will do peas every fortnight, carrots I do every 3-4 weeks, french beans I do twice in a season as they crop plenty enough for me
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SG6

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 19:11 »
Suppose that it will depend on how many you plant the frist time then at what rate you eat them. :mad: :mad:

If the first batch lasts say 2 weeks then you would need the next lot to be ready 2 weeks after the first, so you would (logically) make a second sowing 2 weeks later.

It also assumes that whatever you plant and harvest matures at the same time. If you have something that tends to spread the crop over a few weeks then that changes it also as the plant itself will spread the harvest.

I suppose that 4 weeks would mean 2 distinct crops and would mean that the sowing times are not too extreme in terms of early and late.

xx
Seed sowing

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 13:10
by EllenJane
xx
Seed sowing

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 08:17
by pink aubergine
xx
sowing seed

Started by hayley on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 18:20
by gobs
xx
Seed sowing

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 09:35
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.