chicken coop

• 10 Replies

ragdoll

chicken coop
« on: July 11, 2013, 18:08 »
could anyone please tell me do you know of anywhere that I can buy a chicken coop in Flintshire or Cheshire that doesn't look as if it will blow over with the first puff of wind that comes along? we have looked at a few and they look so flimsy they are not worth buying,  we have never kept chickens before and we're looking at getting 3 or 4 but cant find a coop

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
Re: chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 19:45 »
Hello Ragdoll, i'm at the same stage as you want 3 or 4 birds and no coop yet. I do know that plastic coops cut down the chance of getting red mite so iv'e been looking at the coops made by Solway they are quite dear at around £200 but would last for ever more. Cissie  :)

splash101

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 20:29 »
If I was going to replace my coops, I think I would look for something from Solway.

Its better to save up for a few extra months and get a good one rather than a cheap import one.

Have a look on ebay / gumtree / preloved / freeads etc to see if you can get a used eglu or similar, sometimes you can get a real bargain.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:20 »
There are several types of plastic coop at varying prices: search "plastic chicken house" online & work out your own yes, no, maybe comparison for construction & price comparison.  Think ease of cleaning & egg collection over pretty, but if you can combine both at manageable price.....

I've got my eye on an Arkus - he will discuss specific requirements if you want.  Just saving up & want it before winter as current wooden coop has seen better days & I love the idea of a quick pressure wash over the slog of scrubbing tongue & groove.

ManicMum

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 19:55 »
Mine was Ebay, obviously what most people would call "cheap". It is wood and when it was at the allotment it got red mite, due to wild birds, got rid of them and now it is in the garden in an enclosed "housing area" (solid roof with polytunnel sheeting wrapped over chicken wire. It is also painted in Culprinol and raised up on bricks.
Whatever house you get, red mite can occur, but can be dealt with. Raise it on bricks so you can see rat holes as they can eat through any house plastic or wood.
I would not buy second hand wood though.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:47 »
I have 2 of the large solway arks (each one will hold around 20 birds) and they are brilliant. However for just 2 - 3 birds I would opt for an eglu.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 18:40 »
Still looking at different plastic coops and iv'e just found the Eco-flex at £139 size 5ftx3ft i know it says suitable for 6 birds, i only want 3, so big enough?? opinions please Cissie

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 19:07 »
the one I have looked at seems to be made to look like wood (well afterall it is made with polymers and wood by-products although not sure what they mean by that it could be sawdust). I prefer recycled plastic that is a smooth finish so there is less nooks and crannies for redmites to hide in.
Also will you be getting the attached run? it doesn't seem very big for three hens

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 19:38 »
Is it smaller than the Eglu Joyfull ? Think i'll go back to my first choice of the Solway Hen loft is that big enough? i have two ex rabbit runs here already so only need the coop. Plastic appeals to me because of red mite ect, i already have a hutch but am reluctant to use it cause of said critters.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 21:43 »
if you are using a ready made run it needs to be at least 1 square meter per bird, the good thing with eglues and I think solways is that you can buy run extensions for them.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 21:48 »
I have the Solway standard hen house, I've also owned 2x Eglu classics, the Solway house was better value for money, just as easy to clean and the hens chose to use it over the Eglu's. I have also owned wooden houses, I much prefer the plastic ones.

Arkus is another brand of plastic houses that are worth a  look at, they seem good value for what they are. For me though, I will be sticking with Solway coops from now on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 21:53 by JaK »

xx
Chicken coop

Started by Chris B on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:22
by Dominic
xx
Chicken Coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 22:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:22
by Beano
xx
Chicken coop

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 19:04
by wildeone

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 39 queries.