2018 abysmal failures

• 41 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

2018 abysmal failures
« on: June 25, 2018, 21:16 »
For the first time in 30 years I'm unlikely to have any parsnips, despite four sowings throughout April and May. I put this down to extremes of temperature in the period, unless some kind of bug or creeping pest .
has developed a taste for them
Anyone else had a spectacular failure?

AnneB

Re: 2018 abysmal failures
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 21:21 »
Onions.   Turbo from setts hardly grown.  I was so pleased to find them to buy this year too.

Broad beans and peas about half / two thirds normal height but I will get a crop from them I think.

Beetroot is very feeble.   

Globe artichoke not happy.

Strawberries very poor - not sure if this is weather related or it is time to replace.

Most other stuff is OK.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 21:41 »
no parsnips.
broad beans covered in blackfly
short peas
plenty of strawberrys but something keeps beating me to any ripe ones.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 21:59 »
Celeriac and celery are my big disappointments this year with all but 2 celery and 1 celeriac plants being munched to the ground by slugs shortly after being planted out. Like Anne, my peas and broad bean plants are much smaller than usual but I've had some (not as many as I'd have liked) broad beans and there's quite a few pods on the peas, so fingers crossed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 22:12 »
Autumn-planted onion sets failed as most bolted  :(

Spring-planted sets regulary disturbed by moles so gave up the ghost

Only half the parsnips groing, but that's better than last year I guess

OK on most other things thank goodness

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 22:43 »
Parsnips were our big failure too.  True across all the plots on our site, even from the very experienced green thumb brigade. 
No spring onions, but I did wonder about the age of the packet.  And the lettuces are well behind hand .... but now on their way.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33 »
No 'abysmal failures' so far, but I have lost possibly as much as a fifth of my Lady Christl potato plants to what looks like blackleg, although the plants I've dug up did manage to produce a portion of undamaged spuds apiece. (Certified seed potatoes do not come with a 100% guarantee there are no diseases present, and blackleg infection seems to be more common in UK seed potatoes than you might expect.)

My parsnip germination was patchy, so I had to resort to transplanting some of the thinnings into holes filled with MP compost in the hope of avoiding forking - time will tell but they are at least growing OK so far.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 08:49 »
Onion sets have been hit by leaf minor and look quite sorry for themselves. I doubt if i will get enough for stoning and using this winter.
Broad beans have failed spectacularly and peas very patchy but catching up now.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11 »
I've no Summer cabbage for the first time ever  :ohmy: I don't know if it was poor seed, poor compost or the weather variations, but all the repeated early sowings either didn't germinate, or never got to a size worth planting.
Later sowings for Autumn/winter cabbage have been more successful, so far.

Most other stuff is struggling, as we need some rain. Tap water never works as well as rain IMO.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:46 »
Strawberry's lasted for just over a week before giving up fruiting and were all very small.

Spinach has been virtually non existent, some grew to 1 inch and went straight to seed.

Carrot germination rate has been very poor as well, out of 3 packets of seed I will be lucky to get 30.

Peas have done well but have needed watering daily.

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 12:18 »
Parsnips and spring onions - zero. Beetroot, onions, potatoes, autumn-sown garlic and shallots all doing nicely,  in fact the beetroot leaves are bigger than I've eve seen before.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 14:00 »
For the first time in 30 years I'm unlikely to have any parsnips, despite four sowings throughout April and May. I put this down to extremes of temperature in the period, unless some kind of bug or creeping pest .
has developed a taste for them
Anyone else had a spectacular failure?
Parsnips seem to have been a problem for most folk on our site this year.  Personally, in one thirty foot row I have just two showing, and this is despite sowing twice!

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 15:54 »
I have one row of parsnips. The second row I have sown twice, but no growth. Neither union seeds, leeks, radish is having a hard time, fennel and red beets are still very very small, half of our potatoes didn't grow.. So quite a bit, but still a reasonably filled garden.

I keep sowing until the time has passed. This has helped the carrots, sweetcorn, pumpkins, cauliflower, broccoli..

DaveF68

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 23:29 »
Dwarf French Beans - netting blown off and eaten by pheasants. Replaced by autumn kale
Cauliflowers - net tunnel blown off by storms, plants eaten by pheasants. Leaving these in in case they re-leave.

Raspberries - storm blew over half the canes on the summer fruiting plants.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 08:43 »
Wild rocket ; very few seeds germinated and those that did stayed miniature.

Blueberry Spartan; very healthy looking plant with not a single blueberry! I re potted it last year so maybe it is just too happy in its new pot to bother flowering?

Potatoes succumbing to black leg. I don’t know yet whether I will loose them all but not looking good  :(

Parsnips doing extremely well after an extra ordinary success with germination  :D

smiley
Failures.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:16
by Will1983
xx
fed up with failures

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 09:47
by potatogrower
xx
Carrot failures

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 20:16
by Anton
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 52 queries.