poppies

• 4 Replies

willbara

poppies
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:52 »
dont know whether this is in the right section but:
on the allotment site  i am on in mid sussex as we approach 2018 which is 100 years from the ending of the
first world war each of us are going to set a little bit of our plots aside and sow a few poppies in memory of
all people who have lost their lives in conflicts in the last 100 years.
i wonder if allotment holders up and down the country would be interested in joining us and just sow a few
poppies in a small piece of their allotment.
many thanks for your time .
                 wllbara   

Goosegirl

Re: poppies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:51 »
What a marvellous thought! Having been to Ypres this year there is no better way to remember so many people and animals who gave their lives in order to enjoy the freedom we have been blessed with today. I've added a pic of a headstone from one of the graves we saw. Take a look at his age, have a weep or two, then go out and sow as many poppies wherever you can find space; not only in your own garden but also on any bit of land you can find. Mods - maybe this post could be repeated in Chatting as it's such a relevant topic for this year.
P1000916.JPG
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 15:00 »
HI,

I think this is a great idea, I will spread the word on my allotment site.  :)

Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08 »
That's been something in the planning for next year anyway. Glad to join a larger community.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00 »
I think that last year you could buy 'special' packets of poppy seeds in remembrance of the Battle of the Somme, with some of the money going to the British Legion. They sold out pretty quickly near me so I sowed normal seeds and donated instead. I will gladly join in and do the same next year.

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 40 queries.