Horse Manure for Potatoes

• 6 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Horse Manure for Potatoes
« on: December 08, 2017, 16:53 »
I have access to an unlimited supply of useable horse manure, which I wish to use for next years spuds.  I have the soil ready, but do I dig the manure in now, or just lay it on for the winter and dig it in during Spring prior to planting?  Many thanks, learning is such fun! :D :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 16:57 by freefolk »

rowlandwells

Re: Horse Manure for Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 17:36 »
you say you have an unlimited supply of horse manure freefolk but is this manure old or new dung? I've  been using horse manure for some years  now I've spread it on top of the ground and let the worms pull it in and also spread the manure on the ground prior to ploughing the ground

its just you preference at the end of the day  i  spread a good layer of manure  on the top of the ground and let the worms pull it in if its to late to plough the ground then cultivate in spring I've asked this question to other's on this site and they agree that's the best way

and it depends on the type of soil heavy or light ground? now if your horse manure is new poo then I would stack it for at least twelve months before using because that's why they poo pick in the fields because the poo burns the grass

also a word of warning as I've told many would be users of horse manure check with your supplier if the horse feed like haylage or hay bought in has been weed treated as some hay suppliers spray the grass prior to cutting for hay that can cause problems when growing plants as the manure still has the weed killer active for several months  :ohmy:

hopefully you've got some good horse manure with no problems good luck

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 18:04 »
As far as I am aware the manure is free from weed killers, as other local growers use it, but I will check.  It also several months old before being bagged for use, as they also use it on their allotment.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 14:33 »
Hopefully the weedkiller issue is now in the past, but if you've any concerns that it might contain aminopyralid, clopyralid or similar, then sow a bean seed with 50/50 multi purpose compost and the manure, and see if it becomes stunted.

More info on this diary post from John some years ago: Aminopyralid Herbicide Residue in Manure Killing Crops - Allotment Garden Diary
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 14:54 »
that sounds a bit technical for me Yorkie aminopyralid herbicide residue sounds a bit serious   :ohmy: I know I was talking to someone about brassicas sprays and residue spray got mentioned for commercial use only
so aminopyralid something ells to get in my brain box :D

millimole

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 16:10 »
I made the mistake of taking advantage of free horse manure for my plot!
Two years down the line I think I've at long last got rid of the couch grass (which I'm sure was some sort of super-aggressive strain especially bred to discourage allotmenteers).
I've since been told that weed seeds will pass through a horse's guts without being digested - I'm not sure that this is correct, but I've not had the same problem with cow muck.
I'm sure horse dung could be good stuff if you have the patience to stack it for a couple of years - I'm impatient  :tongue2:
Two plots with The Leicester Permanent Society - still learning.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 18:13 »
I spread too much manure last Winter for worms to pull it down and due to a long spell of dry weather, it dried out a bit and was difficult to dig in, so this year I had added only a thin layer where the potatoes will go, and will line their trenches with some too. This will also help the issue that our soil is very limy, which encourages scabby potato skins. (Manure is slightly acidic)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Horse manure good for potatoes

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 11:27
by Remy
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse Manure

Started by Always Cross on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 12, 2013, 12:25
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 34 queries.