ideal family dog breeds...

• 44 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: ideal family dog breeds...
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 16:02 »
The main probs we've had with Penny, now she is almost 14, is a touch of arthritis in her back legs, and an ear infection quite often.

Now she is taking tablets for her joints, she is very active again, although she can sometimes sleep until 10am! LOL  She has wonderful teeth, although I've never cleaned them, and the vet said he wuld be proud to own a dog like that at her age!

But like the others have said, you can get really docile ones, or total mad ones in any breed.  The trick is in the training I think.

Suziet8

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 23:40 »
I have a 2 year old springer who has such a lovely personality that we've just got a working cocker puppy.  Yes they need a lot of exercise but they are quite laid back once they've been to the park. They are very friendly and not at all vicious. My vote is spaniel.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 15:11 »
I think spaniels are over excitable and need lots of exercise, so you have to be able to keep up with them if you are to do them justice.  My brother has them and he knows that to keep them stimulated he has to walk them a lot! 

Lifestyle comes into more than the breed type.  Get  a dog to suit your home and how much exercise you are prepared to put in. How much are you at home. Don't get a dog if you're out all day.

The little lahsa apso types, pug shitzu type dogs are biddable and friendly and have modest exercise needs but are lovely affectionate little dogs with bags of character.

The dog I walk for my neighbour was bought with children in mind yet it is far too big and powerful for the kid to walk, or  the missus, so I get to walk it for them!  Wrong choice entirely!  The dog needs to be worked really to give it what it needs. Poor choice.    Planning ahead is so important. good luck!  :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 13:42 »
Thanks everyone, we have decided to start looking for our new four legged friend after Christmas.
I think we are going to go for a springer spaniel, collie or a cross. I know these are higher energy dogs but that is exactly what we would need, it will have to keep up with us! Also they seem to be a good size, not too big but not a small yappy thing either. I have seen a couple that would be perfect already but the timing isn't quite right (we lost our cat a couple of days ago and feel a little break would be good in between pets).
Keep any more breed related ideas coming though.  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 16:16 »
I've heard good things about Shelties, as far as intelligence and standard poodles for the same.  Every standard poodle I've ever met seemed to be extremely intelligent and affectionate.  Not so much the miniature...very yappy, cranky, over excited. 

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 20:42 »
High maintenance to keep the coat in good nick, would be my only reservation. Dog hairs everywhere!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 21:52 »
We had a sheltie as I was growing up.  Quite a shy dog, and yes you need to brush them daily.  But they will take as much walking as you want to give them (won't get destructive and bored like an underwalked border collie) and he was a lovely dog.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 20:27 »
My BIL has been working on the moors in Lancs and they found one up there, looking like it had been there ages, and in terrible condition. They weren't aware of the breed until one of the lads took it home and gave it a bath  :)  Beautiful dogs indeed  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 07:58 »
for a family dog I would always say get a staffy, they are one of only two breeds that the kennel club recommend as being good with all the family - remember they were known as the nanny dog before the idiots got hold of them and turned them into status dogs. I myself would never have a working breed (collie or spaniel). As for my favourite breed then that will always be a rescue.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 22:51 »
I am looking after a pugzu and I have to say he's gorgeous, so placid and kind, and so easy to walk. He doesn't pull and is very friendly. He doesn't need a ton of exercise and he's easy to keep clean  :)   

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 18:09 »
Pugzu, that sounds very cute!
Although I know we are not getting one for a couple of moths, I still keep looking. There are some great looking crosses out there, so far the ones that caught my eye are a springer cross boxer, springer cross poodle and a springer cross jack russel terrier.

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 19:59 »
Jack Russells!   :ohmy:   Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!  I had one. Never again! He nearly drove me insane!  :nowink:  Not a family dog, they are terriers and ruddy hard work. Mine was only good when he was exhausted

Goosegirl

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 11:53 »
Jak - firstly, I'm really sorry about you losing your cat. I'm very much a cat person and not at all keen on dogs; having said that, years ago I really took to a little whippet, then a few years ago took to a Jack Russell called Ruby who was just an absolute sweetheart and completely the opposite to one my mum once had and had to return it to the kennels as it was completely uncontrollable. No matter what the animal is, what breed and, to a certain extent, its upbringing, they are all unique like us and totally unpredictable! Maybe this break will give you more time to make a decision, plus I believe that the right dog for you will come at the right time and not before.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 19:31 »
Flatcoated retriever all the way. Super friendly, love kids and other dogs, lots of energy, adore cuddles and born comedians. They're not called the 'Peter pans of the dog world' for nothing!
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

oakridge

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 10:22 »
I couldn't agree more Diddy Gardener.  We are on our fourth Flatcoat and they are a great pal, but.... they are very energetic although Hugo has turned into a bit of a Nigel, as in 'Gardener's World', when I have him with me in the yard.  When we had the livestock I could put the two we had then in with the chickens or goats so I new where they were with no worries.  At that time we had lots of local children visiting and if we took the dogs for a walk I could give William's lead to a four year old and he would be as gentle lamb, but he would drag ten year olds  through bushes and have a great time.  They are great swimmers having inherited webbed feet from their Newfoundland ancestors and can spot water a mile off and be gone.

Malcolm

xx
Surprise family :)

Started by Eumaeus on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 15:20
by Eumaeus
xx
Our new family member

Started by bramford on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 16:58
by GTFC197
xx
New Addition to the family

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 17:52
by Jellyhead
xx
Hawkins Family Update.

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 18:04
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.