Planting out Herbs

• 4 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Planting out Herbs
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:10 »
So most of my herbs are now shooting and are a inch or 2 high..am just wondering when i could put them out into the wooden planter i prepared for them. I was told that i should transfer each module so there is a little clump of seedlings, do i need to pot them on first or could they go straight into the planter? the herbs are rosemary, parsley, corriander, basil

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Planting out Herbs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08 »
I keep rosemary going outside as a shrub all year, but it needs protection if the weather gets too inclement. Coriander and parsley I sow direct in the outdoor containers, usually in April. Basil needs warmth, so keep it indoors or in a greenhouse or polytunnel if you can until it definitely is warm, or it will just die.

I'd say, all but the basil can go out into their planters. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:11 »
Excellent thank you  ;)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12 »
Sorry but how far apart should i put each module of herb, do they need much spacing between them??

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56 »
All of those herbs would eventually fill a very large pot on their own, the rosemary will fill out more slowly than the others. I would space them out evenly in your planter, but bear in mind that you made need to repot one or two if they get very big. It depends, of course, on how often you cut them for your cooking. The rosemary though, because it is perennial will eventually really want a pot of its own. Coriander does not tend to live for very long, if you don't crop it all the time, it tends to bolt. Basil once it is warm should grow and last the season (if you can keep the slugs away - they are not supposed to like it, but they certainly like mine >:(), the parsley will probably overwinter and give you a small and not quite so good crop next year before it flowers,

xx
planting with herbs

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:42
by sunshineband
xx
Herbs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:42
by niclala
thumbdown
Herbs

Started by Coldfeet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 21:50
by devonbarmygardener
xx
herbs

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 19:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 38 queries.