Grow Lights

• 8 Replies

Auntiemogs

Grow Lights
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:01 »
I have to admit, I'm not really into gadgets EXCEPT in the kitchen....until now....  ::)

I only have one windowsill in the house that really gets any light, which is in the kitchen, and what with the usual clutter (the odd plant or three and other assorted 'stuff'), I really am struggling when it comes to starting anything off.  :(

So, what do you think about these?

http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Horticultural-Gardening-Grow-Lights.html

The Garland one looks nicer but the Rootit one looks ideal for my large propagator and I am sorely tempted.

Apparently they don't cost much to run and the idea of having a good supply of salad over the winter is very appealing....

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Grow Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:06 »
Might not cost a lot to run, but it's a lot of dosh to fork out for a few salad crops!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:27 »
Might not cost a lot to run, but it's a lot of dosh to fork out for a few salad crops!
But it would look lovely on the sideboard DD, all leafy and green, and I could even use it to start off my seeds(!).  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36 »
I manage with just plastic bags to propagate seeds, we have no south facing room and at this time of year only one side of the house sees any sun.

And that's now!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38 »

If you can scrounge a 4 foot double light fitting Glowlux tubes are effective and relativly cheap.   That is if your window sill is five foot wide? ! ? !    :happy: Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 21:07 »

If you can scrounge a 4 foot double light fitting Glowlux tubes are effective and relativly cheap.   That is if your window sill is five foot wide? ! ? !    :happy: Cheers,     Tony.
It is at least Klefti but still no room so it's a done deal. I shall start with my toms and peppers (and maybe the rise the odd batch of dough or two to make some buns... :lol:). Will let you know how it goes. So excited.  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 20:47 »
I'm sooo excited!  :)  My grow light arrived today (and I only ordered it on Friday!). Sow, sow, sow! All I need now is Son No. 1, a mallet and a screwdriver! ::)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22 »
Did you get the 2 ft or the 4ft unit?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:21 »
Did you get the 2 ft or the 4ft unit?
I got the Garland one from a company called Green and Easy Trillium. It looked so much better than the others (which I prefer as it has to go in my living room) and it has 2 x 2ft bulbs in parallel and a decent sized reflector as opposed to the 4ft Rootit one which has 2 x 2ft bulbs in series.
Worth a try!
Mags :-)

xx
Grow lights

Started by Auntiemogs on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 21:31
by gremlin
xx
Grow lights

Started by casper on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 07:48
by casper
xx
Grow-lights

Started by gremlin on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:37
by Auntiemogs
xx
grow lights

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2024, 15:51
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.