Greenhouse glass

• 2 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse glass
« on: October 30, 2017, 13:02 »
I will be building from scratch a sort of greenhouse. It will have an ordinary roof so not really a greenhouse. As I will be using it as a conservatory as well I want clear glass not plastic. The view from the greenhouse/conservatory is quite stunning. I may even go for double glazing as I had about 12 double glazed windows panes replaced a while back and I was surprised how cheap it was. Alas I can't remember how cheap! Opps I forgot what is the benefit of greenhouse glass? And importantly how expensive relative to ordinary single glazed?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 21:04 by cc »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse glass
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:08 »
If you are using it as a conservatory, I would go for double glazed. 

Greenhouse glass may let a little more light through, but it will also let the inside heat up faster in summer and get cold faster in winter.  If it is not comfortable for you to sit in, you'll end up not using it.

cc

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouse glass
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:19 »
If you are using it as a conservatory, I would go for double glazed. 

Greenhouse glass may let a little more light through, but it will also let the inside heat up faster in summer and get cold faster in winter.  If it is not comfortable for you to sit in, you'll end up not using it.
I am using zero interest credit cards at the moment for my big project. Repayment in 2019 probably do a balance transfer on as much as I can of it, therefore I may go with your view. Also insulate the ceiling in winter. Builder who will be helping me (more like the other way round!) says the insulation they put between house walls is now solid blocks and easy to stick to ceiling.  Might as well do it right now instead of doing it again later. You have made my mind up for me and I can always blame you if it turns out to be a bad idea!

xx
Greenhouse Glass 3 or 4mm?

Started by Wavertree Red on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:36
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse glass help

Started by pvc on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 22:57
by pvc
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by adal on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:37
by Livinhope
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 36 queries.