Greenhouse crop rotation.

• 3 Replies

jcbuz1970

Greenhouse crop rotation.
« on: July 20, 2017, 21:38 »
2 questions from a pair of total newbies.
Had our allotment up here in the NE a couple of months nearly now and have in the greenhouse raised beds tomatoes, chillies and peppers, all doing well.
1, What do I put in after the toms are finished ? I was thinking kohlrabi or turnips ? Or do I just let it all die back and rot down.
And 2, will my chillies  etc survive over winter in an 8'x6' unheated  gh ? Have I made a bit of a blunder planting them, would they be better left in pots so I can move them indoors later ?
Thanks for any advice.
J&K

Mr Dog

Re: Greenhouse crop rotation.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 22:18 »
After my toms have finished the plants come out and I plant 'winter' lettuces, mizuna, rocket and mustards. Turnips and kohlrabi would probably work if they're started off earlier in modules than when the toms come out (mine have been in till mid October the last couple of years). After the salads finished I spread manure/compost and leave fallow till the spring. I'm extremely fortunate in that I've 3 greenhouses at the plot so can rotate my crops with toms and peppers only going in every 3 years.

Your chillies won't survive. However, I have successfully dug up chilli plants from my greenhouse and overwintered them in pots in the conservatory.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:36 »
I use my greenhouse for winter greens, as well, and yes you can dig up and pot your chillies and peppers (prune tops and roots if they won't fit in your pots) to bring inside for the winter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but well worth a try if you have the space :D

jcbuz1970

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:46 »
Cheer guys n gals, gives me and the boss something to think about for the green house later in the year and now we know we have to move the chilles and peppers. Back to the kitchen window sill for them.

xx
Crop rotation

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 08:22
by mumofstig
xx
Polytunnel crop rotation

Started by bappelbe on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 19:44
by grinling
xx
crop bars and flags

Started by Seanav on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 18:11
by Seanav
xx
i got my new greenhouse

Started by lizzie1982 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 02:08
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 37 queries.