Green manure self seeding..

• 2 Replies

Rhys

• Experienced Member
Green manure self seeding..
« on: July 15, 2017, 22:03 »
I've got a patch of plot that had spuds in last year. I rotavated it and planted rows of buckwheat.
When the buckwheat reached flowering stage I strimmed the lot and left if to rot a bit.
In the meantime my Howard Bantam decided it was useless (was a pain using it tbh) so not tilled it since.

The buckwheat has seeded itself and covered the area, along with borage which seams to thrive on part of this bit.

I'm wondering whether to leave it to grow some more and knock it back again, or rotavate the lot in now (got a newer Howard 220 that works better than the Bantam) and maybe spread a bit of muck on to rot down (I have access to horse muck whenever I want it as a friend has a few horses, saves using the stuff on our allotment that's full of rocks and string)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 22:04 by Rhys »
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Green manure self seeding..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:25 »
I think its a bit early in the season to spread muck and leave ground empty.  It will be full of weeds again by winter and will need going over again., unless you cover it.

If you don't want to plant anything in that patch this year, I would leave the buckwheat to grow on a while.  Strim it down before it flowers unless you want it to self seed again.

Borage makes a lot of green waste that is good for the compost bin.  It is a great bee plant as well.  I get it self seeding everywhere.  I pull it out where it is in the way, but leave what I can for the buzzy folk to enjoy  :)

Rhys

• Experienced Member
Re: Green manure self seeding..
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 13:00 »
Sounds good to me. #lazygardening lol

xx
Green Manure

Started by seadart on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 16:51
by brucesgirl
xx
green manure

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 12:15
by daz
xx
Green Manure Question

Started by Apostrophes on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 08:45
by Apostrophes
xx
Unusual green manure

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 11:06
by Growing Weather

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 36 queries.