Poorly looking cucumber plants

• 20 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Poorly looking cucumber plants
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:26 »
Morning all. I bought a cucumber plant from local G/C &  was lucky to get 2 very healthy plants in the same pot, (a bogof.) When I got them home I re-potted them into 2 slightly bigger pots & put them in the kitchen window where  they've grown up to about 5" tall, this week I've been putting them outside in the day & moving them back in at night but not in a heated room, to harden off before going into unheated g/h. Yesterday pm I noticed that they were wilting a bit & the leaves had got a yellow tinge so I moved them inside & gave them a drop of water, this morning they are still looking poorly but not as bad. Do you think the sun was a bit strong for them or could they be suffering with wind burn, as the wind picked up in the afternoon & do you think I would be better to start with a new plant again. I look forward to any comments. Keith.   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:30 by Sleepingpopman »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Poorly looking cucumber plants
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:29 »
The wind can do an awful lot of damage and cucumbers are notorious for being suicidal.

I don't like to give up on a plant till it looks very sick.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41 »
What sort are they, Sleep?

oldgrunge

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 20:23 »
When you say you're putting them out, does that mean outside in the open? If so, shouldn't they be going out to the greenhouse during the day, if that's their final destination. It's still a bit nippy outside for cucumbers.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:23 »
Hi folks. Thanks for your comments. the cucumbers are Burpless Green & I was putting them out in the g/h daily & bringing back in at night but with it been so hot in g/h this week I put them outside in the sun, it wasn't till later in the day that noticed how the wind had picked up in the part of the garden where they were. 

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 16:37 »
you may have spoken harshly to them   there get upset quick an die lol

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 18:25 »
You don't really need to harden them off if you're going to put them in an unheated greenhouse, Sleep.

If they're too big, then pop them into the GH and perhaps wrap them on cold nights, but although cuces normally try and die automatically, you should be fine just taking care of them like that!

(We've lost about a dozen so you're among friends)!

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 21:56 »
Once again many thanks for your comments, I have left them in the G/h & will give
them a few days to see if they improve.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 22:57 »
As Paul Plots pointed out in another thread, sudden changes in temperature murder these. So, however well you tried, with the recent weather, you probably did wrong.

Hardening off, you do in fair weather.  On the other hand as Growster says, you don't need to harden off, if they are gh plants. As it were, I do not harden off my outdoor plants of cucurbits in general. Just open the windows/doors on them and only put them out in June.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

lettice

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 09:37 »
Sounds to me your mistake was moving them in and out.
I would leave them in the greenhouse, but out of strong full sun while they are  just starting out.
remember, not to overwater them, they must not dry out, but too much water at the base will rot the stems.
Give the soil level a moist regularly watering and mist the leaf area.

You say they are 5 inch tall, that's big for this time of year, most will have only been going a few weeks or early April and will be a few inches with a new growth starting above their first two leaves.
If they are 5 inches tall I would be putting them in their final position in the greenhouse.
For me outside would be fine now, but would leave till later this month for up North for outside.

Still plenty of time to go and grow from seed, cucumbers germinate in 7 days.

Just curious, what variety are they?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:39 by lettice »

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 21:49 »
We bought some Cucumber plants recently - Snack Box 'Cucino' and lost them in similar circumstances to what has been mentioned. Consolation that we are not alone , but frustrating never the less.  Will try again as we had a reasonable harvest last year and they are good for the packed lunch.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:34 »
We bought some Cucumber plants recently - Snack Box 'Cucino' and lost them in similar circumstances to what has been mentioned. Consolation that we are not alone , but frustrating never the less.  Will try again as we had a reasonable harvest last year and they are good for the packed lunch.

It's been an odd year for getting cuces to start, and I still keep peering at our plants, expecting them to keel over, and curl up, but fingers crossed, we may get some survivors now.

It'll work out at roughly three quid a cuce..:0)

Baldy007

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38 »
My Plants are in an unheated polytunnell here in South Wales, plenty of protection from wind, but some of the leaves are turning yellow, then white and dying off. any ideas why?

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 12:52 »
Cuc's will keel over given half a chance . Do you water from the top ?
I find all small cucubits are best stood in a shallow saucer and watered sparingly from that.

Even full grown cuc's are best watered away from the main stem. Water should be at room temp or warmer not from a cold main tap.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 14:02 »
My Plants are in an unheated polytunnell here in South Wales, plenty of protection from wind, but some of the leaves are turning yellow, then white and dying off. any ideas why?

Cold and stem rot are just two of the things which will kill off young cukes, but I used to find than even when established, the plants still grew but the leaves quickly developed white patches, dried off, and died, as did the whole plant eventually.

Can't be 100% sure of this, especially as no-one else has mentioned having the same problem, but extra feeding has made a big difference in the past few years. Try a liquid feed - it won't hurt and may fix the problem.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
How big are cucumber plants?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 16:52
by compostqueen
xx
Cucumber plants..

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 12:33
by lettice
xx
Cucumber plants

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 08:18
by DD.
xx
Cucumber plants

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 22:45
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 33 queries.