I'm so behind 😩

• 19 Replies

Mum2mj

I'm so behind 😩
« on: April 25, 2017, 17:15 »
Every year I promise myself this will be the year I get on track at the plot and every year I feel I'm playing catchup. To be fair there's been a lot going on the past few years but I've not even been able to get my spuds in yet! I've 2 trays of broad beans that need to go in and 2 trays of onions sets the rest are still sitting in a bowl 😳
I've yet to define beds at the plot, I've only got 8 small ones ready, if there was a competition for growing nettles and bind weed I would win it. 😆
I barely get time down there as I've 3 young children and I do try and take them but it's just stressful and I don't get anything done, hubby has no interest in it "sigh"
I'm hoping to spend abit more time soon as I'll have a morning once a week whilst littlest one is at preschool (until the summer holidays anyway!) rant over, lol is there anything urgent I should have sowed by now or will most things catch up?! What has very one else done so far?

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: I'm so behind 😩
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 17:46 »
I'm behind as well. Having taken on a plot for the first time clearing the weeds and getting the ground prepped is taking longer than I thought. I have got two beds with spuds in but that's it. However given it was frosty last night (I am in Lancashire)  it's probably not a disaster to be behind. I won't even get the whole plot in production this year, but a lot of people on here feel that isn't an issue so remember its meant  to be fun!!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 17:51 »
Don't be too hard on yourself! I have a full time job, a part time job and 2 young kids...it's a struggle to keep on top of it all. When I do take the little ones to the lottie, all I seem to do is empty potties and intervene in arguments! It's really tough to balance it all...especially if you don't have additional help.

Some years I'm ahead, some I'm waaay behind but as someone once said to me on this forum, just do one bit at a time and it will get there in the end :)

I've almost given up a couple of times as it just seems to be me that bothers/cares. I think my two are now just starting to get to an age where they're a bit interested. I've got them both sowing seeds this year so they're a bit more 'invested' in the process. I refer to them as 'their plants' to help keep them interested in their welfare. It seems to help a bit and at least I can say "I've got to plant your beans out, otherwise they'll die" and that seems to do the job!!!

Do you have a rotovator? I finally managed to persuade MrsWhiteRabbit to get one and it's made a huge difference to how long it's taken me to get beds ready. It might also appeal to Dad2mj if he's got a gadget to play with???

The way I rationalised the expense was that we save hundreds of pounds each year growing our own, so investing a couple of hundred in a rotovator makes sense :)

We've got people on our allotments that haven't got spuds in yet, so don't worry too much! Just do what you can :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 18:13 »
There's lots of time to catch up  ;)
People who put potatoes in early may have had them frosted, which puts them back a bit, so yours will probably be ready when everyone else's are anyway  :D

If it's any consolation my shallot sets are still waiting to go in, I'm still waiting for the plot to be rotavated  ::)

All I have in is a few short rows of early potatoes (and yes, they were frosted) and a few short rows of peas.
There are also a few trays of tiny brassicas, but there is plenty of time for you to sow them...

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 18:33 »
It's difficult when children are little to engage them fully for the length of time it takes to do what's needed. Lay down some ground rules with t'other half re time spent at the plot, is it "your hobby" if so does he have a hobby that he does without children in tow if so you need the same amount of time. If the plot is to make ends meet or to enhance the quality of food for the family then it's only right that there is some time set aside to enable it to happen. Good idea of Whiterabbits suggestion re gadgets. My hubby uses his late dads rotorvator when required( actually I'd rather no dig method but it does really help to get the ground up & running so I let him 'play')
Good to give them their own plants etc, might be worth giving them a small plot each & then just go with them some weeks to tend their plot, then come away so it's not boring, short & sweet. Could also look at reward charts done with horticulture in mind to encourage wanted behaviours when you need to get some jobs done. Have you got room for a play area for them, might be worth it in the long run, or a mud kitchen area
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 18:59 »
One of my plot neighbours has made a bit of a den out of pallets for his 3 little children. In fact I think the children did most of it. Pallets just leaning on each other and up against a tree, a old sheet and a picnic and off you go!

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 19:59 »
All I have in is a few strawberries! I couldn't garden at all last year due to illness so have a mega amount of catching up to do... Leggy stuff in seed trays everywhere. But yes, it's early days yet... Some things'll work, others won't, but hey, that's just how it goes! Just make sure you take time to enjoy yourself!  :)
I don't really look like my avatar.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 20:18 »
Hi mum2mj,

If I were you, wouldn't bother about clearing ground further now.  and plant through weed membrane or mulch.  it helps to skip weeding ,preparing and waterig to an extent. also would be lot easier for next year. you can do this to potatoes,suash,tomato etc all.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 20:23 »
The temperatures like they are I wouldn't worry, being behind this year may be a benefit.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 20:46 »
still early enough for all crops in my opinion.
if its a chore you will always be playing catch up.
if its your pleasure or way to unwind you will find a way to make time for it.
kids want to see quick result which don't happen.
give them an area for them to play on, dig, move soil make tumps.
this is like planting the seed of gardening and hopefully good memories.
I can remember as a child friends coming to play and my dad getting us both to help him plant!
a pain at the time I thought but now my veg plot is my relaxation place.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 20:57 »
Don't worry, it gets worse, when they are older.  :D (I'm ducking now)

As above: den, picnic, toys. Like at home in the garden. And yes, do give them a little plot each. The key here: make sure they can work the soil in there and let them grow and do what they want with it. Let them plan and chose their crops and seeds. They might surprise you!

Hubby needs sending out to Wait-rose for a few organic veg every now and then. Make sure you grow what he most likes, even if nobody else is a fan.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 21:26 »
Actually that's a good point about having something like a den for the kids to play in. We got a playhouse for free off Freecycle and it kept our two entertained. They'd set up shops selling stones, gooseberries, bottle tops, whatever they found around the plot.

eeyoretigger

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 23:56 »
Chill out honey! You've MORE than enough to stress about!
Simple two choices:
(1) cover at least half of plot in black plastic / weed membrane. This will make the work / stress / pressure much less AND make time spent there much more enjoyable AND do-able. Maybe put kiddies pallet castle on top?
If you get busybodies moaning about weeds or eyesores explain your difficulty & they MAY offer to help, either physically or just advice, or an odd plant or two.
Next year review the situation. The weeds underneath will have died down by then.
(2) Let the plot go - for now. Maybe it is just not the right time. Maybe come back to it when tiny one at School? In my one day a week not working I used to simply "catch up"; washing, dentist, maybe a secret nap! Cut yourself some slack babe, no one else will.
Seriously, stop stressing & start caring for YOURSELF, they NEED you as you, not stress-y, shout-y, not-fun-to-be-around you.
Take care x

arh

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50 »
Personally, with 3 small children to cope with, I think you are doing marvelously just getting anything done at all on an allotment.

miggs

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02 »
Don't be that hard on yourself. Little and often is the way to go. I have not that got that much in as of now. I have two beds of Onion sets and shallots, I finished off putting in the spuds last weekend. I have lots and lots of stuff to go in, but like most people I am waiting until the cold snap is over.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:08 by miggs »

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.