Butternut squash planting

• 16 Replies

pottylotty1

Butternut squash planting
« on: April 22, 2017, 18:48 »
Butternut squash have come on really well.As I live in the London region I'll wait for the predicted icy winds next week to pass then I'll take them out of the greenhouse. When should I place then in the ground? And how far apart. Your comments awaited.

gobs

Re: Butternut squash planting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 19:58 »
When you dare to put them out at your location, someone else closer to you can advise on, here June. A plant needs about a square metre space and nutritious soil.

Initially, you only want to leave them out of the gh in fair weather.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pottylotty1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 21:34 »
Thanks Gobs. I'll bare that in mind

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 21:54 »
Agree re don't plant out until chance of frost has gone but it must the amount of space must depend upon the variety as my butternut squash nearly took over my allotment last year - it trailed everywhere!

pottylotty1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 22:13 »
Ok Mikem. I'll be sure not to place them too close together. Thanks for the info

gobs

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 23:19 »
Agree re don't plant out until chance of frost has gone but it must the amount of space must depend upon the variety as my butternut squash nearly took over my allotment last year - it trailed everywhere!

Growth habit is another matter than root space requirement and nutrition. Two different things. amongst squashes and pumpkins there isn't much difference in the latter not just by varieties but also by species, while the first can be rather varied.

Where you let them to run is not exactly a planting distance question. Many are bushes and don't run anywhere, they still need the same root/plant space. And runners do not need more root space.

Flowertot

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 00:04 »
I live in London and only sowed my seeds last week. I usually plant them out in mid-late May so I suggest you are careful to harden them off and then protect them with eg. fleece or cloches when you plant them out if the weather is still cool at night.  They'll be fine if you're careful.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49 »

You can always train the stems round and round, in a circle, to keep growth within the allotted space.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04 »
They will probably survive planted out from mid May but butternuts need warmth and can sulk if there is wind or cold weather. Keep them inside until you are fed up with them and harden them off carefully.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:56 »

You can always train the stems round and round, in a circle, to keep growth within the allotted space.
I tried that but every time I went back to the allotment either my neighbour had moved them or they had decided that they wanted to go elsewhere and put down roots to ensure that they stayed put.  Rather like trying to train runner beans to go the wrong way round a bamboo pole.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 12:45 »

I tried that but every time I went back to the allotment either my neighbour had moved them or they had decided that they wanted to go elsewhere and put down roots to ensure that they stayed put.  Rather like trying to train runner beans to go the wrong way round a bamboo pole.

A short stick or two helps keep them going in the direction you want them to (or a long stick if you need something to beat your plot neighbour with!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 16:46 »
I tried the short stick method so I'll try a long stick but tell my neighbour it was your idea! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 17:46 »
If you do try the long stick remember to tell your neighbour I live in Sheffield, Alabama USA, not the Yorkshire one!  :ohmy:  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 22:00 »
All this trailing malarkey!

You have to heavily restrict growth and number of fruits per plant anyway, if you want some to come close to ripe at this climate.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04 »
It's true (at least where I am) that you're unlikely to get more than 2 or 3 fruits per plant through to maturity in any one season, but it's a bit of a lottery as to how long the plant needs to grow to achieve that - they sometimes have a bad habit of only producing flowers of one sex at any given time, and pollination can be a bit hit and miss even when that's not the case.

I usually find that the plants are 10-15' long by the time they have set 2-3 fruits, sometimes from more than one growing point too, which takes up an awful lot of space in my garden if I don't try to persuade them to keep to their allotted area by training them in circles.  ;)

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Deano_The_Beano on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 06:50
by gobs
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 08:38
by Ma Lowe
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Nettles on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 16:33
by lucywil

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.