Moving asparagus?

• 12 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Moving asparagus?
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:20 »
I'm moving to a new allotment, just as my four-year-old asparagus is really starting to get established. I might as well try and move it - nothing to lose. But does anyone have any tips, and how do you fancy my chances?

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Moving asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:01 »
I moved my four year old asparagus in the winter and it's just started to show the tips of spears. It's a bit early though so I'm not expecting too much of them just yet. Be interesting to hear of other gardeners experiences.
As an aside, a lotty friend moved plots and took his asparagus with him which did fine until he forgot where it was and rotovated straight through it.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:04 »
best time to move it would have been December or January.
If you move it now it may suffer a bit this year but should be ok in future years.

I'ts never ideal to move it but as you say, you have nothing to lose.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:08 »
It will be hard work as those the roots of those crowns will be 3 feet across. They may have started to shoot so the buds will be fragile. They will probably sulk. I am sure they will move but new crowns only cost about £1 each so why not start again. Leave them for the new tenants - tell them where they are so that they do not get rotovated.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:33 »
Thanks, folks! Unfortunately I couldn't move anything earlier - including my small fruit trees - because I didn't know I was moving - the new place has only just become available!

I doubt there'll be any new tenants on this current, very neglected site, so I'm trying to take as much as poss with me if it'll survive the move.

I'll give it a go. Expect this will be a 'bedding in' year for lots of stuff, but that's ok. I'm pretty patient! 🙂 

Thanks very much again for your advice!

Pim.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30 »
Hi Pim I would move them asap. Think about where you move them to on your new plot and try to avoid any position that gets waterlogged they like to be in free draining soil. As per other comments they may sulk for a bit but given some pampering with compost and manure (perhaps in autumn) they should recover for next year.

Good luck with your move
HH
Keep digging

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45 »
Thanks a lot, HH! It's a perfect day to get cracking up here!  :)

jambop

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 19:57 »
I can never understand why people do this. They are not an expensive item to buy , and tom move now could be terminal if the weather conditions and new ground are not favourable ,why not let the next owner benefit from your hard work and just accept it rather than destroy something nice?

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 20:21 »
Jampop,

If you read my previous replies, I have already explained this. My current allotment is unlikely to have a new tenant - most of the plots are empty.

One thing I personally don't understand is why people bother to comment if they're a) unwilling to read the strand, and b) unable to contribute anything positive.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 21:14 »
Against all careful advice, as previous posters also testified, it's absolutely fine to move asparagus. They are much hardier plants than often described.

Try to make an effort of a strait, clean cut on the roots when doing so, like when you get them as crowns (they are also moved then, ha-ha).

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 22:10 »
That's great, Gobs, many thanks! TBH after four years it's only just starting to get properly established on the current plot, so can't like the spot that much - maybe it'll even do better on the new one. Cheers!  :)

jambop

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 16:03 »
Jampop,

If you read my previous replies, I have already explained this. My current allotment is unlikely to have a new tenant - most of the plots are empty.

One thing I personally don't understand is why people bother to comment if they're a) unwilling to read the strand, and b) unable to contribute anything positive.

OOFFFTTTT ! Sorry about that but I reply to questions not a thread you asked a question I gave an honest answer sorry for upsetting you ! You only mentioned the fact the plot was going to be laid vacant half way down the page. I don't read what others think before I make my post I make mine on the basis that it is relevant to the question being asked ie. the original post.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 14:32 »
Apology accepted, but it does make sense to read a thread before you add to it, otherwise you're likely to get the wrong end of the stick quite a lot of the time. It wasn't exactly long.

Thanks,

Pim.

xx
moving asparagus

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 21:46
by Trillium
xx
Moving Asparagus??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 13, 2022, 11:07
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Moving Asparagus

Started by SkipRat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 20:41
by SkipRat
xx
moving asparagus

Started by jessegee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 23:10
by Trillium

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 33 queries.