Heritage seeds

• 18 Replies

p6t6

Re: Heritage seeds
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26 »
I try to grow heritage varieties as much as possible, I'm really keen on helping to preserve the diversity.
However I cannot afford to pay the HSL/Garden Organic fee, I've picked a few seeds here and there, I think it's important to protect varieties from extinction.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55 »
Heritage seed library can offer only a few, but you get them from community as well. Only thing they do not carry label of heritage. Seed circles and parcels are good places , this year i have added aubergines, tomatoes, cucumbers (dosakai) , amarnaths, and few others. These were all never bread by any .. or do not have commercial names. HSL is part of community in my opinion.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 22:55 »
I grew Cupidon filet beans from the Real Seed Company last year - they were prolific and delicious. Cherokee Trail of Tears climbing bean was good, too. This year I'm growing Champion of England peas from the same company, Leidse Hangdown broad beans, and some others. I'm going to make a concerted effort to save my own seed this year, too.
I don't really look like my avatar.

seasprout

• Blogging at The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 12:34 »
I've grown Heritage Tomatoes for several years, and saved and swapped the seeds.

I've been in a Seed circle in the past & ive joined a couple more this year.

I'm also branching out into Heritage beans, peas & squashes for this year, and Im going to have a go at keeping the plants isolated to ensure a pure self pollination so I can save and pass the seeds on in swaps etc....

I used to be a member of HSL around 2006/2008 time. (still have the catalogues). Back then you could be a member with just hsl & not GO, but that all changed.

But I got the ump with garden organic begging letters and let my membership go, but I recently rejoined.....

I've just re-reported 18 heritage tomato plants......
 ::)
Walk a mile in a mans shoes and you will be a mile away with his shoes.

xx
heritage seeds?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:53
by solway cropper
xx
Heritage Seeds

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:23
by DD.
xx
Heritage seeds help

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 08:32
by peapod
xx
heritage tomato seeds

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 09:38
by spuriousmonkey

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 34 queries.