replace raspberries

• 2 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
replace raspberries
« on: February 26, 2017, 20:28 »
According to the press
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9481098/A-foolproof-guide-to-growing-raspberries.html
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/341265/Alan-Titchmarsh-helps-you-enjoy-the-fruits-of-your-labours

You need to replace raspberries every 10 years, mine were planted 10 years ago and are pretty rubbish now (they are Autumn Bliss).

How can you plant them in the same place as before or is it impossible?

sarajane

Re: replace raspberries
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 21:45 »
I,'ve just this afternoon planted new canes for the very same reason. Mine have been producing less for the last couple of years so I bought 6 each of Glen Ample, Joan J and Malling Minerva. Hopefully to get a supply from summer to the end of autumn.

Mine have gone into another area of ground to hopefully avoid any virus left in the earth.

I've laid cardboard I've been collecting between the canes and covered with bark chippings. This really helped keep the weeds at bay with the last raspberries and didn't stop them from spreading. Here's to lot's of jam in a couple of years.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: replace raspberries
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 21:48 »
I,'ve just this afternoon planted new canes for the very same reason. Mine have been producing less for the last couple of years so I bought 6 each of Glen Ample, Joan J and Malling Minerva. Hopefully to get a supply from summer to the end of autumn.

Mine have gone into another area of ground to hopefully avoid any virus left in the earth.

I've laid cardboard I've been collecting between the canes and covered with bark chippings. This really helped keep the weeds at bay with the last raspberries and didn't stop them from spreading. Here's to lot's of jam in a couple of years.
Sadly I don't have the space anywhere else.

xx
what to replace my potatoes with

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 19:52
by Zippy
xx
to replace blackcurrants?

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 18:49
by shoozie
xx
What, to replace chicken coop?

Started by doctorangler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 16:32
by doctorangler
xx
Do I replace the Tarpaulin over my compost heap?

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 21:37
by Christine

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 36 queries.