Marking animal graves with plants

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Marking animal graves with plants
« on: January 14, 2017, 15:23 »
We always bury dead household pets at the edge of a field we own that we use for horse and pony grazing. We have had quite a population of dogs and cats in the 35 years we have lived here and use a part of the field close to a wild hedge as a burial ground with to-date 11 separate dog and cat burials there, each marked with a small cairn of stones and a dozen or so daffodils. We've just buried our oldest dog after it succumbed to bladder cancer and I'd like to make a change and mark the spot with something that is summer-flowering (I'll add the usual daffodils next autumn).

Can anyone recommend something that will naturalise, is hardy and will adequately stand out in  rough pasture please?

jaydig

Re: Marking animal graves with plants
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 15:48 »
I don't know if all varieties are hardy, but I have an alstromeria growing in a very poor patch of ground, and it starts flowering in April-May, and continues until November.  It is never fed and rarely watered, and still produces a bounty of bright orange and yellow flowers.  It's been there for years, and has spread to take over all of the available patch of ground. I'm not sure of the variety, but it grows to about 2-3ft tall.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 16:58 »
How about a hypericum shrub.  They are very tough and it would continue the theme of yellow flowers.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 17:02 »
Or a cistus if it's a sunny spot?

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 20:02 »
I've planted roses over our cats graves, their beautiful and sharp like my cats so it seemed appropriate, it's delightful to see their blooms every year and I do give them much more care and attention that all my other plants because they are so personal and special.

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22 »
This might not suit you and of course some plants are not horse friendly but our first dog had a habit of digging under the pampas grass, eating a root occasionally and hiding there if it suited her (getting very mucky in the process) She is buried there and we never forget her or her tricks with the pampas, lying low if she did not want to come when called. Personally I think variegated hollies are enduring and colourful and unlikely to be disturbed, but its a very personal thing in every case. Go with your instinct.

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 14:46 »
pop some snowdrops in with the daffs (not you snowdrop!).  We put some on our cats grave and they are beautiful now. .. unless they are poisonous to horses of course!

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32 »
I've planted roses over our cats graves, their beautiful and sharp like my cats so it seemed appropriate, it's delightful to see their blooms every year and I do give them much more care and attention that all my other plants because they are so personal and special.
When my beautiful white tom cat Brian died (he arrived out of nowhere when I'd just started chemo and died just after I went back to work) I planted a rose called "Little White Pet."
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
compost and animal poo

Started by tillytup on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 23:09
by Paul Plots
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
clip
What plants are these?

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 20:44
by greenjay
xx
What plants please?

Started by wilbzfishing on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 10:45
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.