Hedge help please.

• 2 Replies

Blackpool rocket

Hedge help please.
« on: November 01, 2016, 20:11 »
Hi all, I know the question has been asked before but I need some help with a new hedge.

The hedge runs pretty well east to west. There was previously a rhododendron hedge there in all about 40' but it was too big. The neighbour & us were losing about 6-8' of ground to the bases.
The other side has a common beech hedge so we would probably go for something different. It needs to be fast growing and not all one species.
We will start with copper beech but what to intersperse with, ideas so far, hornbeam, orange blossom although there seems to be a bit of confusion as to which one, doesn't choisya have an unpleasant smell? perhaps ivy if not too rampant!
Whatever it is needs to grow from the base we don't want bare bottoms!
The ultimate height will be 6-8' with a spread of ideally no more than 2-3'

The picture is what was left after 'trimming' & went on for another 20' The trellice has gone, I put it up about 15 yrs ago when we had the hedge trimmed back to the 'trunks' which looked terrible so I tried to disguise it!

Hopefully someone here will be able to give us some further inspiration........    appreciated. B.R.
IMG_20161003_184252067.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedge help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:46 »
If you are starting with copper beech, there are other hedging plants that are often available with it as a mix.  Hornbeam is one and usually there is hawthorn, hazel and Acer campestre, but there are others.  That would give you a wildlife friendly option.  Viburnum opulus has berries that are very nasty smelling when crushed - think clearing up after your dog and you will get the idea  ;)

Choisya is evergreen and the leaves and flowers have a scent to them, not that bad though. 

If you want other ideas, a really nice deciduous option is Amalanchier lamarckii.  This has pretty white flowers in spring and lovely autumn colour.  For evergreen, Photinia Red Robin is an attractive plant.  All the new leaves come out red, then fade to green and it also has sprays of white flowers in spring  :)

Blackpool rocket

Re: Hedge help please.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34 »
Thanks, we'll take a look at those at the weekend.

xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01
xx
a new hedge !!!!!

Started by wiskerman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:20
by mrs bouquet
xx
A Big Hedge

Started by Glyn on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 20:20
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 36 queries.