Ryobi 4 stroke strimmer

• 11 Replies

Soilsister

Ryobi 4 stroke strimmer
« on: August 07, 2016, 18:04 »
Any advice on starting a ryobi 4 stroke petrol strimmer. Worked brilliantly at first but now won't start. Any experience?

grendel

Re: Ryobi 4 stroke strimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 19:36 »
if its more than 3 years old consider replacing the fuel pipes, they can collapse and restrict flow, or check the filter in the tank. also if it has a priming bulb, check for splits, if you cant prime properly it will be difficult to start.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Soilsister

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 09:03 »
Thank you its practically brand new and the owner is contacting them as it should still be under guarantee but thanks again for the advice

jezza

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 20:52 »
hello try the spark plug or as Grendel suggests check the pipes they are notorious for splitting at the grommet seal in the tank Ryobi will probably tell you that you are using the wrong petrol they want everyone to use Aspen petrol which has no benzene ethanes  or bad things in it but dont tell any one the cost £18.99 for 5 litres also ryobi dont do yearly warranties eg if you buy 1st September 2016 the warranty runs out 31 december 2016 not September 2017  i have had warranty problems with a Ryobi that would not start  purchased October  tried to start in March told it was out of warranty     jezza

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 23:43 »
Any advice on starting a ryobi 4 stroke petrol strimmer. Worked brilliantly at first but now won't start. Any experience?

Similar problems with a small rotovator... a real b*gg** to start. Even had it serviced but still no go. Fine one autumn.... nothing come spring. :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 15:21 »

If I have starting problems take the plug out small drop of petrol or 2 stroke in plug hole replace plug then try to start I found it works most of the time
pipfit

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:51 »

If I have starting problems take the plug out small drop of petrol or 2 stroke in plug hole replace plug then try to start I found it works most of the time
pipfit

I am hopeless when it comes to petrol engines - avoid all of them when I can - know the general principles but little else.

Would WD40 be a better option for squirting on the plug?

grendel

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15 »
give it a quick squirt of carburettor cleaner in the air intake, if it doesnt start then there is no spark. even if the carburettor is not letting fuel through it should start and run for a few seconds on the carburettor cleaner. if it does start and run for a few seconds its a fuel blockage somewhere.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38 »
give it a quick squirt of carburettor cleaner in the air intake, if it doesnt start then there is no spark. even if the carburettor is not letting fuel through it should start and run for a few seconds on the carburettor cleaner. if it does start and run for a few seconds its a fuel blockage somewhere.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 16:13 »
Re warranties, don't you have legally have 6 years regardless of what the manufacturer says?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ghost61

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 16:33 »
I bought OH a Ryobi strimmer.  It worked once.  I think they're a rubbish make.  He now has an Eckmann back pack strimmer, which is very reliable.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28 »
My little old Ryobi cultivator is a 2 stroke - given to me by my father-in-law when he gave up his plot.

It is similar to a Mantis tiller.... light weight to carry about and to use but pretty effective once the flipping thing starts!!

I was told it wasn't working but managed to get it going for a year or two. Never easy to start but this last year it simply refused. Asked for it to be serviced - came back not running and with a broken / split priming bulb.

So... that's rather put the kibosh on the poor old thing. I wonder should I bother to source, buy and fit a new bulb or simply take the machine to the amenity tip. I'll be sad to part with it - can't afford a replacement right now so it'll be back to the spade, garden fork. rake and Wolf soil miller. I'd cope well enough...... I guess.

xx
Ryobi Strimmer

Started by radiohead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 17:38
by radiohead
xx
Ryobi strimmer, help needed?

Started by Belgarion on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 18:34
by arugula
xx
Ryobi strimmer cord

Started by owein on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 09:56
by owein
xx
Ryobi strimmer and attachment

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 07:47
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.