Ryobi expand-it driveshaft problem

• 5 Replies

commerlad

Ryobi expand-it driveshaft problem
« on: July 09, 2016, 19:24 »
It's OK I'm not asking for help.

But my Ryobi Expand-It experienced a problem (I have a Strimmer Head, Tiller Head, Pruner Head, Leaf Blower Head, Brush Cutter Head & Hedge Trimmer Head) So was not impressed when they all stopped working.  :ohmy:

Turns out the square drive bar down the centre of the Strimmer Head had rounded off, as it had done so it had also damaged the square drive on the motor unit.

Great there is the part no. listed on http://www.ryobispares.co.uk/ (complete sub assembly drawings too)  ;)

But on trying to order the part it is no longer supplied >:(

So what to do, Buy a new motor or get creative?

I'm a cheapskate so I get creative.

First as having nothing to lose I removed the drive shaft from the motor head having watched this video

IeYtEoWaKRY
Then I placed the removed part alongside an extension shaft I had "BINGO" They are almost identical.

The driveshaft just has a hole and slot to locate it.

Off to the shed and Drill Press and 10 minutes later I am reassembling the Drive unit with the new "Drive Shaft" (Read as Old Extension Tube)

Cost, Well an Extension Tube can be bought new for about £25 - £30

A new Ryobi motor Drive is about £130

(And all the repair shops will tell you they can't fix the old one as they can't get parts)

So if yours goes the same You know what to do.

Sorry I've no pics but it really was that quick that I did not take any.

Sometimes I think laterally but then I have to get up!

Kleftiwallah

Re: Ryobi expand-it driveshaft problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:50 »
You're my kind of bloke commerlad.  I have a Ryobi strimmer in the corner of my shed, and it's staying there.  I've given up on it as starting is just impossible.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:58 »
You're my kind of bloke commerlad.  I have a Ryobi strimmer in the corner of my shed, and it's staying there.  I've given up on it as starting is just impossible.

Cheers,  Tony.
We've got one in our shed too, and it has exactly the same problem.  The first one we had was impossible to start, so we took that back and it was replaced with the second one, which was really difficult to start, and then, it too, impossible. Have now bought a battery operated one which, although it only has 30 mins power in the battery, functions well and is no problem to use.  We would never buy Ryobi again.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 13:08 »
I fixed my "impossible to start" ryobi by changing the cheap spark plug for a better one - it then got pinched.  :mad:  I now have a "wrestle with it till your arm aches" ryobi with no balls. It also lives in the shed and only gets used when I can't find the extension cord for the electric one. 

I won't be buying ryobi again either - I spend more time cursing it than using it.

grendel

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 20:36 »
I bought the cheap B&Q strimmer, that was 3 years ago, still going strong, started first pull this morning.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 23:10 »
hi my mate bought a HANDY off a telly selling site its exactly the same as a Ryobi but in green the shafts fit each machine  except the engine fell off after half an hours light  hedge cutting he couldnt get his money back  the telly company said he had undone the bolts which he hadnt he didnt even know how to put petrol in  jezza

xx
Ryobi Brushcutter PBC3046YE - How to remove 'driveshaft' cover??

Started by duriancake on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 23:35
by duriancake
xx
Ryobi expand-it problems

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 17:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Ryobi expand it pole saw

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 21, 2018, 11:26
by Salmo
xx
Ryobi Expand-It Apr 04 Pruner Attachment

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 04:27
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 37 queries.