comfrey

• 17 Replies

purplebat

comfrey
« on: April 22, 2007, 12:14 »
I've just been looking at the article on comfrey, and I think I've just edstroyed some! whilst I was digging I found a huge root system that another lottie told me was dock, and to get rid, but looking at the pic of the comfrey root it looks very much like what I dug up! do the two look similar? If it was comfrey I'm going to be gutted as I've been looking everywhere for some
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

WG.

comfrey
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 13:28 »
If you tried to dig it up, you will now have 8 plants growing from root fragments.

purplebat

comfrey
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 13:47 »
damm;' my carrots are there now  :x  do you think that's what it was?

WG.

comfrey
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 13:50 »
I didn't see the root of course ...

Dock roots are orange in colour and tough.

Comfrey roots are brittle.  Black on the outside but fleshy white on the inside when they break.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
comfrey
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 16:15 »
If it was comfrey PB, any bits you let behind will grow, believe me!!!!  its very difficult to destroy.  I had a small plant in a pot next to the patio standing on weed suppresant.  The root grew through the bottom of the pot, through the weed stuff and into the ground.  When I moved the pot, the comfrey grew from the bit in the ground, and 2 years later, is still coming up, even though I moved the main plant elsewhere.  It has also supplied loads of people with cuttings!

But if by some chance it doesn't re-grow, let me know and I'll send you some!!!!!

Trillium

comfrey
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 17:12 »
I got a chuckle reading this thread as over here comfrey grows wild but isn't as rampant as in the UK. Nor do many gardeners know the benefit of comfrey. Nor did I until I read John's excellent article. A friend of mine has some that were driving her mad with their unwanted presence until I showed her John's article and now she's promised to give me a load of cuttings so we can both make comfrey tea and put dried leaves under our veg plants. As a gardening speaker, I now try to tell others about the merits of comfrey.  :D

daveym

comfrey
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 19:40 »
Something is eating the new grown leaves of the comfrey plants I have put in.  Anyone know what it is and how to stop it.  Doesnt look to be stopping it grow but I want the leaves all to myself :x
"A man must shape himself to a new mark directly the old one goes to ground." Ernest Shackleton.

Dan

• Experienced Member
comfrey
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 21:40 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I got a chuckle reading this thread as over here comfrey grows wild but isn't as rampant as in the UK. Nor do many gardeners know the benefit of comfrey. Nor did I until I read John's excellent article. A friend of mine has some that were driving her mad with their unwanted presence until I showed her John's article and now she's promised to give me a load of cuttings so we can both make comfrey tea and put dried leaves under our veg plants. As a gardening speaker, I now try to tell others about the merits of comfrey.  :D

Yes i was recently pleased to discover the country lanes leading to my house all over the village and even at both sides of the drive to the house we have comfrey growing. Im pretty sure its the russian comfrey ( white ) that seems most abundant and naturalised in the uk, i have a bucket full of stinking comfrey tea on the brew courtesy of some growing in the lane...im curious about your statement of "dried leaves under veg?"

by under ...do you mean on top of the earth as a mulch? or do you mean dug in before planting? I have seen on tv people pulling and then putting fresh leaves in a trench and planting spuds on top? is this ok or should they be dried? ( or wilted?)
I know my comfrey is not the bocking 14....but then im leaving it where its growing on the front drive and in the lanes and just harvesting the leaves....thats should be ok as far as re seeding?

is it ok to go on the heap too? or not.

Dan

WG.

comfrey
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 22:09 »
Quote from: "Dan"
..do you mean on top of the earth as a mulch?

or do you mean dug in before planting?

I have seen on tv people pulling and then putting fresh leaves in a trench and planting spuds on top? is this ok or should they be dried? ( or wilted?)

is it ok to go on the heap too?

yes

yes

wilted

yes

Dan

• Experienced Member
comfrey
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 22:14 »
Thanks

Thanks

Cheers

Nice one

chilli sauce

Leopard.

WG.

comfrey
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 22:18 »
Touchée    :lol:

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: comfrey
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 21:11 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
I've just been looking at the article on comfrey, and I think I've just edstroyed some! whilst I was digging I found a huge root system that another lottie told me was dock, and to get rid, but looking at the pic of the comfrey root it looks very much like what I dug up! do the two look similar? If it was comfrey I'm going to be gutted as I've been looking everywhere for some

Where is the article on Comfrey.
Mainly I need to know how long to leave the plants soaking before the tea pot is fully "mashed".
Oh and do you pull the plant out or cut it leaving the root?
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

shaun

comfrey
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 21:20 »
just let it grow a bit more jim then give it a good hair cut(just the leaves),you should get about 3 cuts a year of established plants

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetables_and_herbs/Comfrey_The_Wonder_Plant.php
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
comfrey
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 22:26 »
Here is John's comfrey article Jim.  Its a pdf file that you can save to your pc.  Its very interesting.

I usually leave my comfrey in the water til it dissolves, just keep adding to it.  then when you want to clean out the container you've got it in, just tip the dregs (a slimy mess!) onto your compost heap and start again.  I don't usually start uing it for 3 weeks, nice and smelly by then!!!!

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetables_and_herbs/assets/comfrey.PDF

yummy

comfrey
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 23:47 »
Turns out we have comfrey on our plot. Someone pointed it out to me a few days ago  :lol:

xx
Comfrey

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2014, 21:50
by snowdrops
xx
When will comfrey appear?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 18:00
by goodegg
xx
Comfrey

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 14:21
by mumofstig
xx
Comfrey

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:46
by Yabba

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 40 queries.