Lawn problems

• 8 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Lawn problems
« on: August 02, 2009, 14:41 »
A few months ago i round up'ed and dug up my lawn pulling out all the weeks i could find and i did a pretty darn good job if i do say so myself.

Unfortunatly life got in the way of the next part of the project the re-construction of the new lawn.

right now i have a 30ft by 50ft square of weeds!! sigh...

im fairly limited on time at the moment so im not sure i['m going to be able to go though the process of re-constructing the lawn till next year.

right now im looking at just managing the area even if i can't get the new lawn down for some time.

what is the best way of dealing with this patch? if i cut the weeds down with the lawn mower can i lay weed control fabric over the top for the time being? will the weeds die underneath it till i have time to get to it? or is there a better way?

DavidT

Re: Lawn problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 20:15 »
I`d give it all another spraying of Glyphosate. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 20:32 »
I would be tempted to keep using glyphosate every time the weeds come through.  Some of them take more than one application to kill properly.
Cheese makes everything better.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 20:57 »
Or just mow it every now and again, eventually something sort of resembling a lawn will emerge. Depends if you have the time to do that though.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 21:02 »
I get the feeling that KT wants a nice green weed free lawn and not something resembling one. :lol:

Mine was full of weeds and moss and I had to do something drastic to make it nice.  If I had the resources I'd do what KT is doing but instead I use the stuff that kills weeds, moss and feeds every autumn and spring.  Got to say that it's finally looking good but not perfect.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 21:33 »
I really only meant to do that in order to keep on top of it, rather than to produce a perfect lawn  :)

It would stop it getting overgrown and also stop most weeds setting their seeds.

Either that or weed fabric is surely better than several doses of glyphosphate IMO.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 21:40 »
As I said, some weeds take more than one dose of glyphosate to kill.  Once done a few times I would definately use weed suppressant fabric.  I have some on an area I want to eventually gravel and it works a treat. :)

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 22:14 »

the main problem with the lawn origionally was that it was weeds more than grass haha.. tbh i know lawns are weedy by nature and that keeping htem cut short just giving the "illusion" of grass. 

More than that though the lawn was full of rubble and wasn't level it was all bumpy you could fall dwon a pot hole at any moment haha.

So far it's been dug over once and the "major pieces" of rubble have been removed, but it hasn't been leveled or raked yet.

Unfortuantly life got in the way and now weeds have gone crazy you can't even see the earth anymore.

In the ideal world it needs the weeds killing AGAIN, the whole lot digging over again and the it needs leveling off before i can lay some grass seed.

Will weed suppressant fabric kill the weeds??

right now im leaning towards another dose of glyphosate  then laying the fabric over the top of the lot till i have time to get to it fully? does this sound like a good idea? 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 20:40 »
If you do decide to use glyphosate again, leave the fabric off for a couple of weeks in order to enable it to work.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Lawn problems

Started by lfcevans on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 18:03
by lfcevans
xx
Lawn Problems - over feeding ?

Started by busterthehorse on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 11:13
by JayG
xx
My new lawn

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2019, 18:33
by hasbeans
xx
Should I lay a new lawn?

Started by plum crumble on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 21:56
by iggyboy60

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.