Plants for wind breaks

• 5 Replies

Luiska

Plants for wind breaks
« on: April 19, 2017, 23:57 »
I don't want to waste space with bulky shrubs but does anyone have a suggestion for what could be trained along wires to cut the cross wind? It's a big allotment and can get pretty breezy so whatever it is would need to be fairly tough - not the sort of thing that requires a protective wall. Non-edible for humans is fine, though it would be nice if it fed birds, bees or butterflies.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Plants for wind breaks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:05 »
If you've got fencing you could put windbreak netting up. We get a lot of storms and strong winds so I've used that on the open sides of the veg plot.

Jerusalem artichokes are said to be useful as a windbreak - depends how powerful the winds are. The winds the artichokes give me are plenty powerful! :)

Cordons of blackberries or loganberries may help and raspberries too.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

LILLILEAF

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:33 »
Hi
I have done 2 different windbreaks,the 1st one i did was a willow this worked well i bought 50 12 inch stick cuttings for £15,i planted 3 rows in a zigzag by the end of the first ummer they were 10feet tall,now i have cut them down to 6 feet and put the cuttings in the ground to make the wind break even thick.
The 2nd wind break is made up of different buddleia plants now that is one for the birds and bees,i do live very near the coast on Anglesey it can get very windy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:09 »
Hi
I have done 2 different windbreaks,the 1st one i did was a willow this worked well i bought 50 12 inch stick cuttings for £15,i planted 3 rows in a zigzag by the end of the first ummer they were 10feet tall,now i have cut them down to 6 feet and put the cuttings in the ground to make the wind break even thick.
The 2nd wind break is made up of different buddleia plants now that is one for the birds and bees,i do live very near the coast on Anglesey it can get very windy.
Can I ask what variety of willow, spacing and where you got them from?

Great idea using buddleia - that grows well here too.

Luiska

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:08 »
All great ideas - many thanks. I second John's query to LILLILEAF. Bamboo crossed my mind but it is rather expensive to buy in pots. There is the problem of invasiveness, but I've managed bamboo before (rather expensive black-caned stuff bought online). I really like the sound of the willow cuttings - where do you get them from?

I thought about buddleja - and would love it for the butterflies - but am not really keen on the davidii; it reminds me of railway sidings. However, doing a bit of googling brings up a buddleja alternifolia which looks just the thing. It grows pretty big - so one plant would do one of the areas I have in mind - and takes to heavy pruning, so it looks like it would be just fine for training along wire. Anyone know anything about it?

Blackberry cordons are out because there is a huge tangle of them in one corner of the allotment - enough for all the bramble jelly one could desire - but loganberries are possible.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 22:17 by Luiska »

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 18:21 »
Hi
The type of willow was a hybrid,the bundle of 50 was about £15 on e-bay,but when i was planting them i had 55,the spacing was about 10 inches apart also did 3 rows to make it nice and thick.
This spring i have cut them back and used the cuttings to make even thicker and best of all they are free :).
The buddleia is all different types so i get plenty of colour,i have pruned them back so the plant flowers on this years growth.
I have also put hazelnut trees in they are just coming into leaf,they are very hardy,and i get lovely nuts too :).Lillileaf

xx
Wind burned fuchsia plants

Started by Springlands on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 19:44
by mumofstig
question
Hanging Baskets - Wind resistant plants etc,

Started by Muckytyke on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 15:25
by Goosegirl
clip
Tree shredded by wind

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 11:55
by mumofstig
xx
Wind-resistant conifers

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 12:21
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.