Feather pecking...need help please

• 14 Replies

moomintroll

Feather pecking...need help please
« on: February 09, 2012, 14:15 »
Hi all
I have a black rock and cuckoo maran with a cockerel. The girls have been feather pecking recently, so i've tried several things. I tried anti peck spray (net tex). As they are actually eating the feathers they pull, I have given them daily cat food to build up their protein levels. The maran and black rock are pecking cockerels bottom and maran is pecking black rocks bottom. The maran is the only one not to have lost feathers yet. I put the maran in seperate run and in shed to sleep at night for 5 days to allow the black rock and roos a chance to start healing. I have applied gentian violet to black rock and roo today and put maran back in with them. Still pecking but not actually pulling feathers out. Any other suggestions please? They have 2 large runs attached to coop run and plenty to keep them from being bored  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Feather pecking...need help please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 14:47 »
you could fit them with beak clips - these allow them to still eat but not grip feathers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

moomintroll

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 14:54 »
Thanks joyfull
I have another 2 in a seperate coop and run, and they are behaving well lol.

I've been observing them this afternoon and no pecking at the moment. I will get beak clips if problem persists. Thankyou x

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 16:35 »
Have you checked for lice, have read they are hard to spot and can be the cause of feather pecking.  Hens helping themselves to a free meal off another!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

moomintroll

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 19:09 »
Hi
Yes we have looked for mites/lice/eggs etc but cant see any. I am going to get some frontline for them to be sure.  Also extra Diatom earth etc.
Thanks  :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 20:27 »
I'll second what ANHBUC says!  Our blackrock was really scruffy for about a year or so.  Couldn't see any lice or mites; did all the usual extras like protein etc. But we spotted lice on our new hens and frontlined the lot (only six!).  Now Nesta, the blackrock is looking grand again and seems much happier and less aggressive. Fortunately she wasn't pecked by others....
good luck with them!

moomintroll

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 21:06 »
Thanks Chrysalis

Can you recommend which frontline to use please? I read somewhere (on here) to use kitten or cat type and 3-4 drops for larger birds and 1-2 drops for smaller bantam sized chickens, and to treat every 3 months.
Also in conjunction with diatom or louse powder dusted on them once monthly and in their coop.

:)

Chrysalis

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 21:39 »
We got a spray one from the vet.  It does the terrier as well as the chooks.  :nowink:
 I just give a spray or two under the feathers at the back of the neck.

The mite and louse powder is mostly rubbish - talc usually and with very little preventative quality. :(

kittyb

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33 »
We had a problem with feather pecking when we added new chucks to our little group,I sprayed any broken skin or bald patches with purple gentian which has antiseptic properties and disguises the red patches and then I put them back in with the others and had no further problems with pecking.

moomintroll

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 19:32 »
Thanks Chrysalis
I've had the spray frontline before, for one of my cats so i'll get some more from my vet. I still think I'll give diatom a go for the coop at least. I have no red mite or lice in my coop, but thats not to say I won't in the future.  :)

Thanks kittyb
I have used anti pecking spray (not successful) and bought purple gentian violet spray this week, and it seems to be working. I put the maran back in with the other 2 yesterday after using gentian violet, and been closely observing from kitchen window since.... only seen 1 peck in total. They were constantly at each other, so think it's been a success  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 20:03 »
Try Vick's Vapour rub. An extremely experienced chicken breeder and Vetinary nurse told me about that one. It also stops chickens henpecking other chickens. It has worked for us when anti pecking spray didn't.

moomintroll

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 20:19 »
Thanks Mrs Ball
I had read that somewhere on here too. Where do you put it on the chickens that wont cause discomfort?   :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:24 »
We just smeared some on our hands and stroked the chickens keeping it away from their eyes!
Chooks looked  a we bit miffed but perked up when the pecking stopped. I have found that Kirsty at hens4homes is a mine of information for the amateur chicken keeper.

Hope the feather pecking stops, it really is a feather pecking nuisance.

moomintroll

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:35 »
Thank you Mrs Ball

They do seem to have stopped for now fingers crossed but i'll definitely use vicks vaporub on them if it flares up again  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 15:10 »
Glad to help. I always like to go for the low tech options where possible!

xx
feather pecking

Started by robinson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:11
by chickenlady
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 21:20
by Yorkie
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 14:55
by Bodger
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:04
by woodburner

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 39 queries.