maricks disease.

• 4 Replies

fish

maricks disease.
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:24 »
ime told it stayes in the ground and construction of a hen house ,ive had 10+ hens die from it and am now down to 4.what can i do?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
maricks disease.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:53 »
Marek's Disease (correct spelling) is a very infectious viral disease. and hygiene is all important.  The virus can survive for a long time (65 weeks)  and is resistant to some disinfectants but is not resistant to freezing, so hope for a very hard winter.

The virus is spread from infected birds mainly by feather-follicle dander, so keeping the hen house really clean is essential.  

Culling infected birds is the only way to eradicate it from a flock, vaccination will prevent birds from developing the tumour form of the disease but will not stop them from becoming infected or becoming a source of infection to other birds.

God luck with the cleaning fish, you must get into every nook and cranny  :!:

Foxy

maricks disease.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 12:15 »
So sorry Fish how awful!
Try using an anti viral disinfectant as Mereks is resistant to traditional disinfectants. Virkon is a good one.
Good luck -maybe get only vaccinated birds or older ones for a while? As older birds more likey to have an immunity.

fish

maricks disease.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40 »
it has been a sore point,usually dead birds go in with the ferrets,but theres nothing left on these birds,devoid of all muscle and fat. could i simply choos to keep ducks ,gunea fowl or other birds or are all avians suseptable?

Foxy

maricks disease.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 13:59 »
Hi fish,

I think its just chickens -and sometimes turkeys that catch this disease although turkeys have a slightly different form and it is not as common. I have not heard of waterfowl or guinea fowl -someone  experienced I am sure will come along and confirm whether this is the case.
Some chicken breeds are more susceptible that others though, however unless you can get rid of any virus I would imagine the problem will still be around for awhile -as Aunty says 65 weeks.
Good luck though!

xx
Marek's Disease

Started by Beth on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:28
by Beth
xx
Disease in flock

Started by KJ on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 16:30
by Jellyhead
xx
Help!!! Could it be Mareks disease?

Started by flocko on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 17:31
by cheekymouse
xx
Mareks disease or not?

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 22:22
by barley

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.