hen making strange noise

• 6 Replies

shiatsusu

hen making strange noise
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:43 »
One of our girls (blubelle hybrd) started making a really odd noise yesterday, a sort of high pitched single pip very unlike her normal soft cluck. She had her beak open slightly, was eating and drinking and moving as normal. I had a look inside but couldn't see anything. She seems fine this morning. Has anybody got any ideas/ experienced anything like it?  ???

Hengist

Re: hen making strange noise
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:53 »
Don't know about the strange noise but an open beak could indicate gape worm - they are in the chicken's throat.  Flubenvet will do for them.

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55 »
It's closed now- I figured maybe she'd eaten something that got a bit stuck and has cleared today, but will watch for more open beak behaviour and worm connection thanks  :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 16:46 »
Ours do, on occasion, make some very funny noises. All sorts of xqueeks and honks and do hold their beaks open.
As she's back to normal it could have been something stuck as you say.

Rob 8)

Molly Hen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 19:21 »
I reckon there must be something in the air. 
My girls have starting making more noise than usual.  From squarks, to constant chatter, and even the two that have not spoken since I got them has finely found their voice and never shut up with silly noises. 

Mind you, they are probably saying the same thing about me as I often chitter away at them and I reckon they say to each other "orrr bless her, she is chattering away to herself again" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 20:30 »
Sounds family molly- maybe mrs peckham (said chook) was trying to startle me into silence so the girls got some peace  ??? It worked... for a while!  :wacko:

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 22:10 »
Call me daft but I think all the hens that we care about, are telling us that the foxes are making babies (december to march its true!) and they need even more food for thier young uns. So our ladies are even more on their guard, and making as many silly noises as they possibly can bless them. Although Mr Fox paid my girls a visit last night (and every night) and they just froze and didint say a word (or cluck one :D)                                                                I know that isnt the real reason for strange noises of your hen, but one never knows!!! Hope she is ok. :)

From HENrietta. :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

xx
rcom 20 making a strange noise!

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 19:07
by jobson336
xx
strange noise - escaped chicken???

Started by babe on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:20
by muntjac
xx
chook making a bad noise!!!

Started by arrowchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 16:00
by Vember
xx
Any ideas why she is making this noise???

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 15:32
by muntjac

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 38 queries.