What do I do???

• 4 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
What do I do???
« on: March 20, 2008, 14:43 »
Hi, I am the proud owner of a pair of Ko-Shamo birds. They are 12 month old and then hen is sitting on 10 fertile eggs in the corner of their shed. My dilemma is; Do i leave the large (3 foot tall) cockerel in with the hen and her brood when they hatch? Will he kill them? care for them? trample them or eat them? i have no idea on the rearing of chicks of this breed. Can someone please offer help as i dont know what to do. Do i seperate the cockerel? or leave him in? Thanks in advance

Bodger

What do I do???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 14:49 »
There's always a risk that the cock might kill the chicks. It doesn't always happen but I would remove him.

Theres no problem with feeding Shamo chicks, they may look like vultures on stilts, but all you need to do is to get some proprietary chick crumbs ready to feed them with from 36 hours after hatching. Up until this time, the chicks are still absorbing what is left of the egg, thats why you can or could have day old chicks transported to you. At this stage, the don't require food or water.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
What do I do???
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 15:27 »
when are they due. and do you have the camera ready ???  :wink:

kizza

• Experienced Member
What do I do???
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 23:23 »
Due in about 2 week. so i should remove the cockerel then?

muntjac

What do I do???
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 00:21 »
just pen him alongside if ur able . the chances of him killing them is there but usually the hen keeps them safe from other birds. id pen him alongside tho
still alive /............

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.