Seed Compost

• 5 Replies

Rural Living

Seed Compost
« on: January 07, 2006, 19:18 »
Wondering if anyone has any advice as to the best seed compost to get. Last year I got mine from a leading DIY store, and found my germination levels very poor for my vegatable and sweet pea seeds. As I thought I was sowing and propogating my seeds correctly, I purchased some more from another retailer who has since closed down. The results were 100% better, trouble is I cant remember the name of the supplier. It appears to me difficult to know what is in the bag, when purchasing compost, anyones own personal experience of good quality seed compost would be appriciated

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Seed Compost
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 17:13 »
Hi and Welcome  :D

I'm not really fussy, we just use Humax all purpose compost which comes out around £10.00 for 300 ltrs.

The worst thing for poor germination I've found is the wrong temperature. Val did her sweet peas using the compost from a grow bag!

The NVS types (super growers ) go for expensive branded products or secret recipes.

For smaller seeds I mix in some sharp sand and vermiculite - scatter the seed on the suface then cover, just, with vermiculite. Results in a light  compost.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

olde9856

Seed Compost
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:35 »
I usually just use mine from the compost bin well sieved to remove big bits then fill and old pan put a lid on and sit it on the barby to heat up and steralize it. Dont have many problems like that.
I agree that poor germination is often due to wrong temperatures.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Seed Compost
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 16:34 »
I have to confess that I use any make too!  And some times I use my garden soil mixed in with a bit of compost if I am short.

I figured that in the 'olden days' they always grew their own food and did not have all the posh compost that we have these days.

My main mistake has been in the past to sow too early and the seeds either rot off or do not germinate.  

My fault not the compost!

Good luck this year with the seed sowing
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Seed Compost
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 21:14 »
Decided to see if I can see any benefits from using a top quality seed compost , so I've bought 80 litres of SHL seed compost, which my supplier assures me is one the professionals use.

I'll report back on what benefits, if any, I find.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Seed Compost
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 20:10 »
Update:
I now reckon it is worthwhile getting a good seed compost -  improved germination and survival to potting on. Not a scientific trial  but that's what I now think.

xx
Buying Seed /Potting compost

Started by jack holland on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2006, 21:05
by kooringa
xx
compost

Started by mr tibbs on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 19:40
by mr tibbs
xx
Hot Compost Bin

Started by Sparkyweb on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2022, 11:17
by pepsi100
xx
compost bin

Started by nerdle on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 07:56
by cadalot

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.