cats and chickens.

• 13 Replies

ruthsamuel2

cats and chickens.
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:57 »
we have had our chickens for about a month now but I daren't leave them out to wander freely in the garden as our two cats want to pounce on them. The chickens are ex bats and don't recognise the threat that the cats pose to them at all. At the moment they are accessing the garden in shifts - when the cats are indoors the hens can come out and when the cats need to come out, the chickens have to go back into the run. NOt an ideal situation as the cats are mostly outdoor creatures.
Does anyone have any ideas or methods to help our pets get on and live in harmony in our garden? Any advice at all would be most welcome (exept for getting rid of the cats).

death of rats

• Experienced Member
Re: cats and chickens.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:06 »
I thought that we would have problems since my cats bring in all sorts of dead things up tp rabbit size.  Apparently since the chickens gagnged up on the cats and a silkie rooster went for them they avoid the chickens.
I think they think rabbits are safer.
One of them stalked the Black large fowl rooster this morning but backed off rapidly when the rooster saw him and challenged him.
I have wimp cats though.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11 »
My cats are wonderful with the chickens and protect them. The first day I let the original girls out I had a water pistol on hand for the cats. The cats approached, got too close and the girls gave them a good peck. Since then no problems and the water pistol was never needed. The cats now chase off other cats who come near the girls and can even be let loose with larger chicks without being watched - one of my ferals herds the sussex chicks when they stray too far from their coop  ::)

I would go out with cats and chickens and a water pistol for the cats. Keep each cat on a knee/in arms and approach the chickens to guage reactions - the cat will be interested but wont necessarily try to kill the chicken. If the interaction goes well without the cat trying to leap out to get the chooks then try letting the cat go but be prepared to grab, chase or spray. Make sure you are clear with NO's and if needs be growl at the cat when they step over the line. Gradual introduction with you as boss. And you'll be surprised how well the chooks can defend themselves, even ex-bats, when they feel threatened.

Cara x

Beano

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:16 »
Our cat showed a lot of interest in our three girls to start with. I didnt get the impression that it was in a predatory way though. He used to run through them to see them scatter and still has a habit of going into their part of the garden and "squirting" all over the place. I think he does it out of spite and to let them know that it was his garden first.
That's not much help but I have never heard of cats killing chickens. I might be wrong.
El.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:29 »
I don't have a cat iof my own but we have a couple of frequent visiting toms. They've never bothered the chooks (all girls), or if they have they came of worse and now ignore them. Unless you have a small tiger I would imagine you'd be OK but the handy water pistol to start with doesn't sounds like a bad idea.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:52 »
we have a cat who's a real hunter but he has never attempted to go for the chooks.  He gives them a wide berth.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

raeburg

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 13:21 »
Yup my cats are terrified of my chooks, especially after an irate broody silkie chased them down the garden!  Silkie is ting and cats quite large but they didn't like it one bit.  The older cat has always been a hunter but has only ever been interested in tiny chicks.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 14:35 »
I've got 3 cats plus the neighbouring ones and never have a problem, there was a little bit at first, but it was a sort of novelty thing, and neverany damage, now the cats dont even bat an eyelid at chicks which is amazing i think, they come over the garden and sleep in the chooks dust baths[do wish they wouldn't poo in them though ::)] Good luck i'm sure it'll be fine :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 15:07 »
My smallest cat only 12 months old has just taken a pigeon ... I expect she'll try for a chicken at the first opportunity, but I'm expecting the chickens to win!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 15:19 »
Let them sort it out, honest!  When I first let my girls out, the cat was lurking in the shrubbery, crawling around on her belly, just waiting for the right moment.  And when she did finally pounce, she got a good pecking!  

She's not been near them since, although she is very very jealous of the attention I give the girls and will stick right by me and shout at them if I go outside and she is with me.

As beulah says, I think the chickens would win out in a straight fight, unless you have an unusually huge cat.

We also have ducks that live in our road and the cats give them a very wide berth indeed.

I think once the cats get used to the chickens, they'll just ignore them.

madcat

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 15:26 »
When we moved here with two 12 month old kittens (who had had a spell living rough and have been known to bring in a live magpie through the cat flap  :blink:) and an experienced older lady hunter cat, I was braced for trouble as the lady across the way had chucks ...  and geese. 

They went to investigate and the geese saw them off promptly.  The kittens (now aged 12) gave the whole place a wide berth after that and long after the chooks had gone.  The old lady cat (now gone to cat heaven) used to sneak in and kip in the coop in the afternoon - no bother to chooks or cat.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 15:41 »
When we got our chickens we already had 2 outdoor farm cats for ratting. They have also brought in rabbits, pheasant and numerous garden birds. The first time they went to investigate the chickens the girls cornered them and the cats have never bothered them since. The cats do go in with the chickens frequently but have never attempted to catch them or hunt them. Even our 5 month old kitten doesnt attempt to kill the chicks.

Our friends jack russell however has killed all of their birds.
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

oborne27

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 19:51 »
My cat is so afraid of the chooks that she will only go out if they are either in there run and then keeping about 20yards away or when they have gone to bed.
mind you our cat is even scared of a robin in the garden and runs in every time she sees one.
good luck and I don't think you ill have a problem.

lina

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 21:52 »
My Cat Noochi - who can be seen below in her very own anti-chicken device - is really curious with them - its hilarious - she climbs in their coop and gets really frisky in their shed.

I have seen Nesta and the the others dive bomb her when she gets too close and shes suffered a few evil pecks. But every morning she comes out with me to feed and them and is always here to tuck them away at night. Awww.

We live in typical urban street full of cats - and they all give the chickens a wide berth.
DSC00251[1] (450 x 600).jpg

xx
chickens and cats???

Started by nifter on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:00
by diamond_lil
xx
cats & chickens

Started by hamcat on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:38
by Chookaholic
xx
Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

Started by pookey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 07:49
by flatcap
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.