chickens and cats???

• 15 Replies

nifter

chickens and cats???
« on: May 15, 2008, 17:29 »
Hi everyone,

I was just after some advice if you don't mind - and this may be a really stupid question, but . . is it possible to keep chickens if you have cats or is it really not a good idea?  

Thank you.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 18:39 »
:D HI Nifter - I started a few weeks ago and have 3 cats - 1 is a hunter that brings back rabbits etc. At the moment he watches the chickens in their run but won't go too close - I think he may have a had a run in with chickens down the road and this has put him off. I now leave them in their run with the cats in the garden - if determined the cats could get them but they really don't seem to bother - if anything they seem jealous of the time I spend talking to the chickens!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
chickens and cats???
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 20:05 »
I've got 2 cats and 4 hens , the cats will not go near the hens now, when we 1st had them they thought they where fair game, but a few good pecks soon sorted them out. We are sometimes entertained by one cat chasing the other and if the girls are out they join in and chase the cats  :lol:

Just keep an eye on them for a start,and they should be ok.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 21:15 »
i dont own cats but have then wandering the field where my hens free range and if anything the chooks chase the cats!!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 21:54 »
Hi Nifter

I've had my hens for 3 months now and am loving it.  We have a cat who wouldn't say boo to a goose so he's not an issue but I did get extremely apprehensive at first about a cat that comes into our garden who eats pigeons as a pasttime.  He was a total pain in the neck at first as he constantly came into the garden and attempted to catch one.  They flew over the fence at one point.  Fortunately however, my hubby and I both work from home and the only time the chickens make any noise is when the cat comes into the garden so we're fairly swift to chase him out of the garden.

I've found over time he's become less interested.  I feel fairly confident that he's given up the hope of catching them although he still likes to taunt them a bit.  They are so noisy, flappy and can run so quickly, I think they'll be fine (says she with her fingers crossed).

Foxy

chickens and cats???
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 22:05 »
I have never had any problems. In fact, my cats are excellent mousers very useful with keeping chickens!
 This is my gorgeous Murphy (RIP ) pic taken last summer- it was raining and Murph decided to shelter with the chooks! :lol:  :lol:

Nats

chickens and cats???
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:38 »
Hi Nifter,

Wow, I wish my cats loved my chickens as much as Foxy's cat does!

I agree there shouldn't be a problem. My cats have been here for 10 years so when the chickens arrived they were VERY freaked out by them. But they didn't try to attack at all, they were more scared and confused than anything else!

The chickens were enclosed completely but still got a little startled every time the cats tried to be inquisitive.

One week later and one of the cats is still a bit unsure of them but definitely doesn't try to upset the chickens, and the other cat has taken it upon herself to defend the chickens against the other neighbourhood cats! Which is very sweet :)

Basically, I think you'd have a worry if you had chicks, not anything that's bigger than a crow.

nifter

chickens and cats???
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 19:24 »
Thanks everyone for your replies - very helpful.  My tom cat does love to hunt birds but is generally a big wimp so hopefully if we do get chickens they will be feisty enough to fend off any advances!

I was also wondering about smell - when I have mentioned to people about getting chickens they have all said that they smell terribly.  I have looked at some of the other forum topics regarding this which seems to dispel the myth.  Would I be right in thinking that a once daily poo clear out and a thorough weekly clean will help avoid any nasty niffs?

Thanks again.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 19:44 »
You'll find the flies on top of the poo more of a problem than the smell of the poo.

My chooks don't seem to smell.  Once a day they do a really rank poo but it soon gets covered by the bark chippings I've got down.

The flies aren't much fun so I've just bought a Red Top Fly Catcher so we'll see what that's like.

pushrod

chickens and cats???
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 21:38 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
You'll find the flies on top of the poo more of a problem than the smell of the poo.

My chooks don't seem to smell.  Once a day they do a really rank poo but it soon gets covered by the bark chippings I've got down.

The flies aren't much fun so I've just bought a Red Top Fly Catcher so we'll see what that's like.

me as well and i just looked at it and it's just caught my first fly - i hope it's the first of many  :lol:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

daz

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 17:09 »
hi thought id resurect an old thread rather than start a new one

same question really but im wondering if bantams can handle themselves against cats as i have a few that come in to my garden and i let my chickens out quite often to roam freely and the chooks are scared of the cat but if a cat decided it wanted a chicken dinner cold they fend it off?

Foxy

chickens and cats???
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 17:28 »
I have a few bantams, pekin cockerel and bantam australorps as well as rowdy growers running around! Once my cats got used to the chickens they ignore them,quite nervous if anything! It doesn't seem to make much difference bantam or LF. My only watchout is chicks, one of my chicks at around 2 weeks flew out and both siamese went into hunt mode I have not doubt had I not been there it would have been goodbye sweetypie! :shock:

Jellyhead

chickens and cats???
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 19:16 »
Sorry to harp on but I have 12 cats altogether now, 2 of which are only 10 months old. They love my chooks and spend hours in the enclosure and shelter with them. Lots of my chooks are Bantys and 1 of them, Martha, is on her 2nd brood this year. This time 3 chicks not ducklings :shock: and so far touch wood, no problem. A couple of the bigger cats go in as well but as yet, touch wood again  :roll: there have never been any probs. Hope this helps :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

daz

• Experienced Member
chickens and cats???
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 20:34 »
so cats and chickens generaly are not a problem but best to keep an eye just incase right?

Wannabee

chickens and cats???
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 21:12 »
I have 2 cats and Felix the male just eyeballs them sometimes which used to worry me but they have never gone any further than that. Dogs may be a mans friend but NOT chickens though. Would worry if you were on about Dogs I've a Jack Russell and she mouths there legs when i'm not watching and wouldnt like to think what could happen if she left to to long with them.
Cheers,

Paula

xx
Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

Started by pookey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 07:49
by flatcap
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody
xx
cats and chickens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:49
by peggyprice
xx
Chickens and Cats

Started by Markw on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 18:29
by Markw

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.