JUst had to pull up 42 tomato plants

• 3 Replies

Oliveview

« on: June 04, 2008, 17:33 »
We went to visit my cousin for a week and before we went we discovered blight on the tom plants, so I pulled up the plants then that had it, the neighbour sprayed the plants for me and on our return the tom plants were looking dreadful-  I´ve just pulled up 42 tomato plants :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
One of the pepper plants (and they are not looking good either) was dead (Mr Mole had chewed through the root) but on the up side I have 3 cucumbers on one plant (quite big too) and an aubergine has a fruit on it (quite big).  I have lots of gaps now, so tomorrow I will plant up some more tom seeds and hope for the best!
Any suggestions what I cab do for next year?  If I spray early before blight  could start will that help?  Our neighbour along the lane had lost all his plants :(   At least I have a few left.  
Oh and the courgettes have ´end rot´ at least I think that is what it is! The fruit is rotting at the ends up.   :(
Pamela

pushrod

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 18:13 »
I've had to give up growing outdoor toms because of blight  :( .
There is a variety that is advertised as having blight resistance but am having a senior moment  :oops:  think it is a thompson and morgan one.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 18:18 »
As soon as you remember Pushrod can you let me know!!  Last year the neighbours toms were all but wiped out, this year it is my turn :(  The veg plot is very ´open´ I was wondering if it would help if I put up a wind break along the fence as my pal said the virus is wind born.  :?:
The neighbour has just been down with the spray for the plants and she told me I should have not pulled up the infected plants-  some were really manky- there was no way they could stay in the ground!
Pamela

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 18:23 »
That would be 'Ferline'.

Have grown them before - they grew to a very large size, but typically not in a year when blight was a problem, so they weren't put to the test!

It's not just a T & M variety.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
when to pull up pea plants?

Started by home made pie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 20:34
by Paul Plots
xx
Rhubarb, to pull or not to pull

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 13:15
by wellingtons
xx
Do my tomato plants look ok?

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 12:38
by emptydraw
xx
My tomato plants

Started by gill robinson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.