Can chickens eat meat or not?... bit confused

• 21 Replies

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« on: January 21, 2009, 20:48 »
Hi all

I was just wondering if somebody could clarify wether or not chickens can be given and scraps that contain meat?  :?:

On some sites etc it is encouraged as a good thing ie.. cat food, bacon fat (not too much as salt content) sunday dinner scraps ....... after all they eat bugs worms etc

Then on other sites it is a big NO NO ?  :?  and should only be given a diet that is meat free. Inc the DEFRA site I belive.

so if any body could enlighten me I would be interested.

Cheers   :D  :D  :D

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 21:12 »
my chickens get all food scraps, but we're not big meat eaters so there's not often any meat in there (or the dog gets first pickings anyway) but occasionally they do and no harm has come to them! also i have given them cat food especially if they've been a bit poorly and needing biulding up.
I can't see what the harm would be and would have thought theres positive advantages in moderation...after all as you said, they eat worms, flies etc.
Ceri  :)

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 21:13 »
oh and hello and welcome to the site  :lol:  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 21:21 »
Hello Trinacooke,  welcome to the site  :D

mine get cooked veg scraps from our cleared plates which often have real gravy on them and the odd bit of meat;  I make sure they don't get given this until the morning so that they eat everything straight away and there's no chance of rats being attracted and no harm has come to my babies either;  in fact they are positively blooming!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 21:35 »
Hi Trinacooke and welcome  :D

They are naturally omnivore I believe and will eat seeds, leaves, insect or small animals and come to no harm, the choice really is yours. Mine do not get cooked table meat. They get very little table scraps only veg thats\never got to the plate.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 21:36 »
As you said, they eat the bugs, and what are these made from? I would only give them unprocessed meat but cut it into little chunks if you can and make sure they have access to grit, as per normal.  Mine get meat and fish (now and again) but nothing too greasy.  Each to their own though.  Mine are fit and healthy and an extra dosage of protein is good when going through moult. You may read in places people give their birds a tin of dog or cat food for this reason to feather them up a bit faster - or they add chick crumbs to the pellet ration, which should be higher in protein if you read the contents.

Hope this helps.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 00:02 »
mine never ever get meat. if ones been a bit off colour i do give them cat food but only fish ones.

betty

• Experienced Member
meat
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 06:50 »
I give mine meat all the time.  In fact I have a man who dresses deer for a living, and he gives me the meat scrapes.  I cook the meat and run it through a grinder, and add it to their regular feed, corn,wheat,ect.  I have noticed that they grow their feathers back, and they lay a much bigger egg.  I know it hasn't hurt them, and I only do it in the winter months. I have pollets, about 20wks old and they are really doing well.   on a smaller scale, once in a while I think is fine too.  I hope that helps you.    yf Betty

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05 »
In the wild the birds will eat anything. But since we consume their eggs I would reccomend fully cooking the meat before giving it to them to avoid Botulism or Salmonilla.

Bodger

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18 »
Legally? The answer is no ! Whilst not wishing to encourage anyone to break the law, I would reiterate what others have said when they point out that chickens are omnivores. Like many people, I've seen my birds catch mice and swallow then whole.
Do I break the law ? Of course not :roll:

agapanthus

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:15 »
Mine would take your arm off for a slice of roast chicken or ham!!!!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32 »
Mine get veg scraps from the kitchen (which is actually illegal, please don't tell anyone) but I don't give them any meat.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 11:17 »
I know I can be a bit dense sometimes, but why on earth is it illegal to feed them veg scraps from the kitchen ? I could possibly understand it if one was a commercial farmer, but  :?  
And does that mean you can't feed pigs waste food like they used to years back, they used to collect it from schools etc I suppose this is now just used for landfill ?

bunch29

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54 »
Hi

I read that it is illegal to feed them on scraps only if you sell the eggs, if the eggs are for you and family etc it is fine. I am getting my ex bats on sat and they said to give them scraps as the protein helps their rehab.

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 13:36 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I know I can be a bit dense sometimes, but why on earth is it illegal to feed them veg scraps from the kitchen ? I could possibly understand it if one was a commercial farmer, but  :?  
And does that mean you can't feed pigs waste food like they used to years back, they used to collect it from schools etc I suppose this is now just used for landfill ?

I think it is to do with bio security ie passing round foot and mouth etc. I'm sure you could get a better answer from the DEFRA web site (not that they know much about bio security given the shambles of the last but one foot and mouth outbreak).

Having done a pig keeping course last year, again it is illegal to feed kitchen scraps, again presumably in case the veggies or whatever have been in contact with meat.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod
xx
Chickens for meat

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 08:31
by Sassy
xx
Chickens for meat?

Started by spud on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 27, 2006, 13:51
by muntjac
xx
Do you feed your chickens meat?

Started by ness on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 39 queries.