BBC 2. The private lives of ....

• 38 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: BBC 2. The private lives of ....
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 06:15 »
People will always buy cheap eggs because they don't know about battery coditions half the lads on site I speak to have know idea about how chickens are kept.  only one person I spoke to dosent care . More education about battery hens is the answer. People can't be blamed for never being told. I used to eat the cheapest eggs in the shop ( eggs are eggs :wub:) till I watched a video on you tube.  Then on to free range now got 3 girls : ) 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 08:27 »
People where I work know I keep chickens and several asked me about this programme. The stats they quoted that 60% of battery eggs go to make processed foods hit home.  They were people who won't buy battery eggs and thought that was them doing their bit.  They are all now on label reading missions to see what else they have been buying and whether the eggs are free range or not  8)

The meal worm test was amazing too - chickens will just about do anything for meal worms, but I would not have credited them with being to work that out so quickly  :D

NooNoosdad

Excellent Programme on BBC - 'Secret Life of Chickens'
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11 »
 :) Just wanted to let everyone know about this excellent BBC Programme screened a couple of days ago. Jimmy Doherty investigates 'The Secret Life of Chickens' and here's the link to the BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t3tl1/The_Private_Life_of..._Chickens/

My family and I were totally engrossed and amongst other things it explains their behaviour and proves that they are Simple yet Intelligent Creatures that learn very quickly - Well; worth Watching :)

8doubles

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 10:30 »
Whenever the intelligence of chickens is mentioned i visualise mine running up and down the fence banging their beaks on the wire looking at the goodies i have put out for them.
They can walk out of the open gate but it takes a couple of minutes to register.
Is 2 1/2 years not long enough for it to sink in ! :)

Jimmy`s farm/food and environment programmes are always worth a look.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 13:54 »
Ours are the same if a gate is left open a bit and one chook escapes.  the gate may still be open, but she runs up and down the fence trying to figure out how to get back in, or at the moment, I have one young Exchequer Leghorn who flies over the gate, then runs up and down trying to get back in!   :D

When we first had our Ex batts, their run was very long with the gate in the middle, so when I walked along the fenceline with their food or treats, they used to follow me on the other side of the fence.  Pennydog usually walks with me.

But then if Penny walked down the garden on her won,the chooks would follow her too as they associated her with the food that I carried!

So they are not daft, just look it at times!   :D :D

Oliveview

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 09:04 »
It was interesting what they said about the cockerel giving food to the hens first.... our Colin jumps up and picks the orange blossom off the trees for the girls to eat.  I had noticed him standing back when they eat their food first thing I had thought it wa him being ´hen pecked´ now I know it is himbeing a gentleman :lol:
Pamela

wildwitchy

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 14:56 »
I have to deliberatly usher adolf to one side if treats are being given as he always ends up with none :ohmy:. He calls the girls over & they swarm in like locusts only to leave him with nothing.  :lol: Such a shame for him. Talk about hen pecked!

hillfooter

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 00:00 »
I have to deliberatly usher adolf to one side if treats are being given as he always ends up with none :ohmy:. He calls the girls over & they swarm in like locusts only to leave him with nothing.  :lol: Such a shame for him. Talk about hen pecked!

This behaviour is well known and in wild flocks in famine situations it's often the cock who will die of starvation first.

It was an interesting programme but I thought it was a bit of a confused hodge podge and didn't really know what it was supposed to be.  Was it a serious documentary about chickens or a chicken welfare programme or as I suspect just a magazine programme exploiting the popularity of Jimmy Doherty with a random smattering of chicken facts ie just a bit of TV frippery.

HF
Truth through science.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 07:40 »
Watched it last night & the one from before about cows.
Thought it was a good & have put this weeks on the planner about pigs.
Sort of thing i would like to do, but when we were looking for land the planning dept put up a hugh great wall from the start.
Not giving up though!!!!

xx
Who lives in France?

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 22:21
by tode
xx
Flo..the chicken with 9 lives!!!!

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 13:29
by arugula

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 40 queries.