Life Expectancy?

• 7 Replies

Luther

Life Expectancy?
« on: February 19, 2007, 22:17 »
Hi Everyone,

A fantastic forum for learning some useful stuff.

I've been keeping chickens for nearly 3 years now.
I purchased my first birds - 4 Warrens at 'point of lay' in September 2004. These hybrid birds have been fantastic fun and great layers.
Unfortunately we lost 2 of them to the fox in the last 12 months, but the other 2 are still 'going strong' and are still laying at the 'grand old age' of nearly 3 years.
My flock has increased since then and I now have 6 Barbu D'Anvers bantams and 4 Welbars.
Whilst I am always considering adding some new birds to the flock, I often wonder what the life expectancy of my chickens is.
I understand that at some point, they will stop laying, but what is their life expectancy beyond that?
In years to come, I probably wouldn't want a relatively large number of birds who were living well beyond their 'sell by date'.
I'm obviously going to care for the birds I currently have regardless, but depending on your response(s), I may have to reconsider adding new birds to the family.
Thanks
Luther.

muntjac

Life Expectancy?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 22:21 »
does 9 years friten ya lolo and she was stil laying at 7  . welcome to the site luther . ur birds depending on the breeds can lay upto this time but i would look at eating them after 4 .if they are pets dont worry about how long they wil lay for just enjoy em while thye do .i replace my egg layers every 2 years with home breds , hope this helps you
still alive /............

Luther

Life Expectancy?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 16:21 »
Muntjac,

Thanks for that............'blooming hell' mate, 9 years is frightening. I don't think I will be divulging that snippet of information to Mrs Luther...........otherwise there may be a definate blockade on any further additions to the flock.
Seriously though, I am surprised to learn this, but as long as they are laying............happy days.
I haven't considered eating any of the birds yet, and I think the kids might have something to say about that!
On the subject of eating them, I take it they are 'fit for consumption' at that age (4), and what about the bantams?

Thanks again
Luther

muntjac

Life Expectancy?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 18:15 »
pousson . chicken  . broiler mate = baby  , adult . old and knackered they make stew . incidently i know of 14 yr old birds and still laying occasional egg :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Life Expectancy?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 18:28 »
That's where Muntjacs pressure cooker comes in handy  :!:

muntjac

Life Expectancy?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 18:32 »
those i did the other day came up great  sally . i made a venison and chicken pie with the meat from a couple  , picked the best meat from the rest   then froze the meat boiled the deer bones and the chicken carcasses   to make a good 5 pints of thick stock .more like a meat only stew by time id strained it for bone . frozen ready for cooking  :wink: waste not want not  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Life Expectancy?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 18:38 »
You sup like a king Munty  :!:  :D

muntjac

Life Expectancy?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 18:41 »
make most of what you are given is my thinking sally

xx
Life expectancy

Started by Geo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 21:31
by joyfull
xx
Life expectancy of a cockerel.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 21:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Laying life

Started by gsc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 07:22
by gsc
xx
i need to know some of the facts of life please

Started by cherrypie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 12:09
by WG.

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 34 queries.