Walnuts

• 4 Replies

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Walnuts
« on: October 09, 2006, 18:37 »
I just found a lovely Walnut tree, is there anything special I should do to store them for Christmas?
I was also wondering about pickled Walnuts, I remember them being horrible but that was many years ago when I was a child, what do you pickle them in?

Jerry

Walnuts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 22:44 »
For pickled walnuts, you have to pick them around June, before the shells start to harden. They are in the green casing, you leave them that way. Prick or bash them about a bit. Soak in a brine solution for 7 days (500g salt to 4 litres water). Take them out and rinse them well. Leave them on a tray in the air for a few hours to blacken. Prepare vinegar, add spices and heat. Put walnuts in hot jars, and add hot spiced vinegar. Thats it really, but do wear gloves when handling, as they stain your hands horribly.

Basil Fawlty

Walnuts
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:39 »
Good question about the walnuts.  I have a large tree which has lots of walnuts on it at the moment.  Last year the squirrels didn't leave a single one.

I've just tried one and found it wasn't ripe even though the green fleshy part had blackened and fallen off.  Do you need to do anything else to them or just store them for a while?

I'd like to get at least some of them stored away before the pesky little blighters nick the rest.

Any suggestions anybody?
I may not know what I'm doing but I might as well do something and see what happens.

Annie

Walnuts
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:25 »
Spread walnuts out to dry them,if you prod that little brown biton the top of the nut is soft/wet usually when you first collect the,that bit needs to be dry or it goes mouldy,when dry store in bags,old onion bags are great and they will keep for ages.I don`t know if this is the official way to do it but have tried by trial and error especially the mouldy bit!

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Walnuts
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 18:23 »
Just been reading about Walnuts and it says a handfull a day is very benificial.
http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/en/walnuts.html

So gather your nuts everyone. :lol:

xx
walnuts

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 21:27
by sunshineband
clip
Walnuts

Started by sunshineband on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 08:29
by sunshineband
xx
Walnuts

Started by niknik on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 15:36
by dementedhornet
question
pickled walnuts

Started by wackyjacky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:14
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.